Is Lacrisert Good for Dry Eye?

March 11, 2009

A Lacrisert rep came to the office today. He stated that the Lacrisert gets great results- much more dry eye relief than taking drops four or five times a day. And many of my patients complain bitterly of taking drops so often, and many of them simply don’t respond to Retsasis. I am not sure if my patients will like the idea of inserting this thing into their conjunctival fornix, but I am willing to try. I wonder what others have found?

Comments

67 Responses to “Is Lacrisert Good for Dry Eye?”

1. Dee-dee on May 5th, 2012 4:39 pm

I had lasik surgery when I was 50 years old and it has been one of the worst decisions I have ever made. Within 6 weeks my eyes were unbearably dry, irritated,scratchy, red, and very unattractive. It actually changed my whole life style. I could no longer be around any type of air circulation. Which includes but not limited to fans ,automobiles, malls, stores, outside,inside, and just any and everything or place that the air circulates. I literally have to shield my eyes with either my hands or glasses. Of course that drove my family and friends crazy b/c they could not understand the severity of my complaint. My Ophthalmologist worked diligently with me for 7 years. Prescribing everything he could think of. I was one step from having my blood analyzed to make an eye serum. I was researching options to dry eye continually until I ran across the site for Lacrisert. I researched further and brought the option to my Doctor. He said he had used them in the past with little success. He said too many seemed allergic to the inserts and they are extremely expensive. I asked if I could maybe give them a try b/c I had nothing to lose. He orderd me some samples to see if they would work. I tried and they seemed to help. They did however make my eyes red so I decided to put the inserts in at night, b/c nighttime is when I also have problems.
    I started out using 1/2 capsule in each eye. I have since moved on to a whole one in each eye nightly. They have worked out so wonderfully for me that I contest that I will never be without Lacriserts. They have become a god send for me. I still use eye drops occasionally throughout the day but nothing like I was. I am also able to withstand ‘more air circulation’ than before and the redness is nothing like it was. I thank Lacrisert for this invention and only hope is continues to improve…. I am however very disappointed in the cost!!! Without help from my insurance I could NEVER be able to afford these. So I am begging Lacrisert to research and make the inserts more affordable to more patients. But I will defiantly be an advocate for the product. thanks…….

2. Nancy on June 18th, 2012 5:35 pm

All the users of Lacrisert seem to suffer from extremely dry eyes or no tears. It’s been suggested that my husband try this product except his problem is constant watery eyes and nose. Does anyone know if Lacrisert will help getting rid of this constant nasel drip and watery eyes? His diagnosis or condition is rhinitis. Any suggestions would be appreciated. He uses drops and gels three times a day but still goes through 2 – 3 hankercheifs a day.
    Thanks for any help.

3. ari on June 20th, 2012 10:07 am

lacrisert is for dry eye, not rhinitis. sounds like he needs an antihistamine

4. Pat on September 16th, 2012 4:26 pm

I wanted to share this experience. I have been using Lacrisert for about 2 months with no problems. About a week ago I inserted a lacrisert about 8:00 p.m. before taking a friend to the airport. On the way home from the airport, I was getting a great deal of pain in my eye. There was no place to readily pull over so I kept going until I got home. When I looked in the mirror my eye was blood shot covering the complete outside white area of my eye. I could not find the lacriset that I had inserted just an hour earlier. It ended up in the outside corner of my upper eyelid . It was a little difficult getting it out. The doctor said he had never heard of that happening. Just giving you a heads up. It took a week for my eye to calm down.

5. Jane on November 19th, 2012 3:16 pm

I’ve been using Lacriserts for 5 weeks. I have and still use punctal plugs, Restasis 2x/day, ointment at night, Azacite at night. After putting in my first Lacrisert there was an immediate relief of the pain. It takes time to figure out what works best for you and there are good suggestions on this list. Complaints of blurriness and foreign body sensation seem to depend on the environment and how well they are positioned (I have a habit of rubbing my eyes and popping them loose). At the end of the day they seem to break up and I clear the foreign body feeling by using a few drops of liquid tears. I travel a lot and work in different environments. Occasionally my nose runs and I have excess moisture, which my doctor says are signs that they work. Some days are drier and I add the occasional liquid tears but never every hour like I used to have to do.

6. saved by lacrisert on January 8th, 2013 11:20 pm

I don’t know why doctors don’t at least mention if not recommend Lacrisert for dry eye patients. I discovered it myself through blogs like this after months of expensive trials of other therapies that did not work. Some made my eyes worse. Lacrisert works for me and has allowed my eyes to heal and allowed me to work full days and cope.

7. Brian Briggs on February 6th, 2013 9:56 am

Hello, could you tell me if it is possible to buy Lacriserts in the UK or Spain?

If so, how much do they cost?

Many thanks,
    Brian

8. Steve on March 26th, 2013 6:50 pm

I was optimistic about this product but find that I can’t get to drop from the applicator. I wrote to Valeant Customer Service but they offered no help at all. I would advise everyone to not waste money on this product.

9. Rita on July 5th, 2013 6:35 pm

Been using lacrisert for 2 years along with rastasis. I find I only need lacrisert while sleeping – enough to make my dry eye non existant as long as I use rastasis twice a day. This is an expensive drug that I am throwing away every morning. because they feel so sticky. So – how do you CUT them in half or can the drug manufacturer cut the dosage in half – which makes more sense – but, of course, they will not make as much money. Please, anyone who is cutting theirs in half successfully, please clue us in because I don’t seem to be the only one who does not need it for 24 hours. It is a great product. Thank you.

10. Almondiyz on September 4th, 2013 6:20 pm

I just started using Lacrisert August 28, 2013. Today is September 4, 2013. So far. Lacrisert has really helped. The problem I have with Lacrisert is that after about 4 hours, I feel the blob of goo in my eyes. One 2.5 mg pellet is way too large for one eye since it swells so large that it migrates out of the socket where I have to remove them. I cut them in half with a very sharp craft tool blade I bought. Even that blob swells & I can only get 4-5 hours of wear before I feel it rubbing against my eyeball. I’m still learning the best way to insert Lacriset since I think the problem may be that I’m not able to insert Lacrisert deeply enough into the pocket. I’ll try the pinching skin technique described because just pulling down on my lower lid doesn’t allow it to get deeply placed into the pocket. So, today was the first day that I DID NOT USE Lacriset in the morning. I could tell a big difference not using it. My eyes were so dry, burning & eyelid dragging across my eyeball with each blink. I usually have been placing 1/2 Lacrisert each eye around 8:00 AM, by noon, I have to remove the goo blob, insert the another 1/2 dose. I wasn’t able to get the Lacrisert in today until 4:00 PM. It’s 6:00 PM now & my eyes feel so much better. ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT LACRISERT, it is the only thing that has given me relief. Even if only 4 hours maximum relief at a time, it has made the biggest difference. WAY TOO EXPENSIVE especially since Lacrisert has been around over 20+ years! I wish Lacriset was made in 1/2 size doses. I feel that with practice, Lacrisert will help me get my life back. I think all of us with any positive results should write to the Lacrisert company to update size dosages & ask why it costs so much! I’ll write after a few more weeks to see if learning better insertion allows Lacriset to stay put in my eyes & give me more than 4 hours relief before I have to remove them due to discomfort. I really need more advice on different insertion tips. P.S. My pharmacy had to special order Lacrisert.

11. Margaret on September 19th, 2013 10:04 pm

I have been using Lacriserts now for two weeks and it has worked wonders for me. I have Sjogen’s and do not produce tears, I have plugs of all sorts to no avail plus Restesis which gave me side effects. In my opinon Restesis should be tossed not Lacriserts. I was so worried about going blind with no tears and then like a mircle discovered Lacriserts when I was doing some research online. Plus there is a video on Utube showing you how to insert Lacriserts and how to take them out if you need to. I live in Alaska so it is very dry, I also have a humidifier in the room and one in another area of our house. I hope my good results continue since it is definately working for me and by the way I think it is not true about taking it of the market, according to my doctor and the Pharmacy.
    Thank you.

12. Jody on October 14th, 2013 4:38 pm

I have had a severe dry right eye since having lasik surgery in 2002. I have had my eye resurfaced with placenta, tried schlerals in Boston, had gamma knife surgery, cyberknife surgery, had a corneal transplant, tried Restasis. NOTHING has helped. I found the Lacriserts on line a couple of weeks ago. Very expensive but my insurance will pay part. I just got them today. Put them in and am doing great! I really think this is my answer to all my prayers for all these years! I am singing, dancing, and praising the Lord! We have to get this info out to all those suffering with dry eye. And also, I tell everyone NOT to have lasik surgery. Too many people have problems. Good luck and God bless you to all of you!!!

Jody

13. Jody on October 25th, 2013 1:51 pm

It is Oct. 25 and the lacriserts are still working well for me. I put them in with my finger rather then the tool, works better for me. Sometimes I lose one and have to put in another. Wish they weren’t so expensive. I had had everything done to my eye that has been mentioned here. Restasis, blood serum tears, nothing worked. I am so happy I found these!

14. Chantal on November 9th, 2013 1:07 pm

I had LASIK in 2002. Since then my eyes have been so dry. I’ve been using drops a lot. I’ve tried restasis but it made my eyes even dryer. A few days ago I ask my ophthalmologist if I can try Lacrisert. He said he heard of people using them in the past but they would feel like rocks in your eyes. And that many users have started using different alternatives. I’ve tried using it for two nights because that’s when my eyes are the driest. After a minute of having them in, I don’t feel them but I don’t notice a difference. By morning, they just become two gel globs. You would think they should resolve over night to coat the eyeballs. It seems like they need moisture to properly dissolve but if your eyes are so dry, how do these pellets dissolve? Any thought or suggestions would help.

15. Andrew on November 25th, 2013 7:57 pm

Does Dr Ali or anyone else know if the Johnson and Johnson Oasis bandage lens helps dry eye? It is supposed to be 90% water so could be slept in and comes in both prescription and non-prescription form.
    I have successfully applied ice to my lids for just a few seconds letting the water get into my tears and, also, have used a public cold water fountain to wash and cool my eye. It is possible that anatomically the cornea may be swollen from lack of tears so epithelial cells slough off and the tissue swells so the cold applications may help to decrease the edema and pressure on the free nerve endings.

16. Andrew on November 26th, 2013 12:41 pm

I keep a bottle of eye drops in the refrigerator which helps cool the eye. I plan to freeze another bottle and then take with me when I leave home for the day or else keep it cool with ice packs.
    Over time, Genteal and Refresh brands can be better as they are preservative free.
    Canada has Lacriserts for $225 for 60 units including shipping.
    It may be worth exploring other countries such as Indonesia.

17. Anita on March 14th, 2014 4:07 pm

I have just recently tried Lacrisert. It is wonderful. I have plugs, surgery to close the ducks, and drops day and night, also retasis. Nothing seem to work until Lacrisert. I am so blessed to have given this. It helped and even seem to improve my vision.