What is the Treatment for Vitreomacular Traction?

October 7, 2010

I’ve recently been diagnosed with vitreomacular traction [Ed. – a condition in which the vitreous gel has an abnormally strong adhesion to the retina]. I was told to wait a couple months and return for follow-up.

My vision seems to be very slowly getting worse as far as reading numbers on my computer and especially black ink on white paper.

What is the difference between this condition and macular degeneration, and are these two conditions ever mistakenly diagnosed one for the other? Is waiting the two months the recommended and optimal treatment? Thank you.

Comments

13 Responses to “What is the Treatment for Vitreomacular Traction?”

1. Randall Wong, M.D. on October 7th, 2010 7:38 am

The usual treatment for vitreomacular traction is vitrectomy. This will cleave the connection between the vitreous and the retina (specifically in the area of the macula). Sometimes, there is an epiretinal membrane associated with this and it, too, may be removed.

Often, many doctors try a short period of observation along with some eye drops.

Vitreomacular traction causes macular swelling. Macular degeneration is completely different although both affect the same area of the retina (the macula). Macular degeneration is an actual disease of the retinal (macular) tissue.

Here is an article I wrote about a year ago about “Everything Macular,”

I hope this helped.

Randy

2. Rick on October 7th, 2010 5:31 pm

I also have vitreomacular traction, and my ophthalmologist also said vitrectomy was the treatment. But recently another proven alternative has emerged from ThromboGenics, which uses microplasmin to resolve vitreomacular adhesion (traction).

If you Google “ThromboGenics vitreomacular traction” you will find press release that you can for yourself. Does anyone else have a comment on this? My ophthalmologist was totally disinterested since he only does surgery!

3. Rick on October 8th, 2010 9:59 pm

I have vitreomacular traction and there is a new non surgical treatment that has gone through stage 3 trials successfully. A company named ThromboGenics has developed the treatment, which involves an injection of microplasmin. ThromboGenics NV is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of innovative treatments for eye disease. You can Google it and read more about the treatment. I’m curious if anyone else has comments on this. It has shown good results, but does not work in all cases.

4. Josh on October 9th, 2010 11:35 pm

We have published a blog post on ThromboGenics’ announcement of successful results of its clinical trials testing use of microplasmin injections to treat vitreomacular traction (also known as vitreomacular adhesion) and macular hole. Please visit:

5. Carita Shockey on June 2nd, 2011 12:02 am

I am interested in what, if any, long term effects the microplasmin might have on the vitreous and also on the macula. Does anyone have information on that?

6. Jeanie French on December 8th, 2011 2:19 pm

I am 55 and have just been diagnosed with early macular degeneration and a VMT psuedo-hole. My doc says it’s called a pseudo-hole because the traction is creating a well-like depression that has not yet torn an actual hole. He says there’s nothing to be done at this stage but let nature take its course, and when/if the pseudo-hole actually tears, it’s damage control time. I don’t like the idea of waiting for something to happen if there’s a procedure or technique that can prevent it. I read a bit about traction release procedures, but it looks like these are done when a hole actually develops, not before? My doctor prescribed I-Cap vitamins and sent me home to wait. I’m not sure if that’s the best course. Any thoughts?

7. ari on December 10th, 2011 7:28 pm

your doctor is right. i see a lot of pseudoholes and the vision is pretty good and certainly not worth the risk of surgery. they can also sometimes spontaneously improve. most surgeons therefore are pretty conservative with pseudoholes. if your macula were otherwise normal, and your vision was like 20/50 or worse, then most surgeons would operate. but if you also have macular degeneration, your doctor must be confident that the pseudohole is only contributing minimally to your decreased vision, and thats why he is conservative.
    consider a 2nd opinion from a retina surgeon, and be sure to tell him he will NOT be operating on you even if he feels you need it. this way, you can be confident of an honest opinion.

8. RKick on April 21st, 2013 9:53 am

My doctor said that I have a pseudohole in my right eye, recommended surgery, but I was afraid to have it, because you have to be on your stomach for two weeks face down for two weeks or more. A friend told me to eye wash my eye making a tea out of 1 capsul of eyebright and silver shield. I had been doing that for over 4 weeks, again back to the doctor and now he said that it looks like a hole, but it is not. I do have distortion where I cannot read anything with my right eye. The dr. said that if he does do any surgery I would not have to be on my stomach for 2 weeks and possibly some of the distortion would improve. Is that really true. I am having a cataract removed shortly and they say that my also help my vision, they are not sure. Any suggestions?

9. ari on May 3rd, 2013 8:48 am

usually we remove the cataract first, then we doo the peel to get rid of the membrane that’s causing the hole if your vision is stil not satisfactory.
    some surgeons dont bother with the face-down anymore.
    consider a second opinion.

10. DocC on May 23rd, 2013 4:13 pm

Just was diagnosed with VRT this afternoon. My opthalmologist is referring me to a retina specialist. Anecdotally, she mentioned a patient of hers who had microplasmin treatment. This patient endured months of visual shape and color distortion and had a hard time of it, though her condition eventually resolved and her vision is OK.

11. ari on May 26th, 2013 10:21 pm

microplasmin is nice and worth trying.

12. Shell on October 8th, 2013 1:33 pm

I was diagnosed with Vitreomacular Traction Syndrome on 10/4/13. I am only 40 years old but have been blind in my left eye since age 8 due to a fishing accident. ( my lens was shattered, my eye looks normal, but I have no lens and therefore only see large shapes.) Anyway, I was told surgery was the best option but there was also a medication that came out last year however, the results are not great as there has not been a lot of data colleted, as such, there is no guarantee that an injection of medication would work. Additionally, if i have the surgery, there is a very high likelihood that I would devolop a cataract within 5 years, requiring yet another surgery. Ugh. I am a wreck! I have to go back on 10/18 to decide on an option. It’s my only functioning eye and my vision is blurred right now when reading or focusing on small items

13. ari on October 9th, 2013 12:00 am

the injection is very very low risk- i would think its worth a try. cataract surgery is a 10 minute procedure- its no reason not to have the vmt surgery if you need it.