August 16, 2011

Dr Abbas Sadeghian, a clinical neuropsychologist, has just published an article describing a new treatment option he has developed for hemianopia (also known as hemianopsia), a condition where decreased vision or blindness takes place in half the visual field of one or both eyes. The condition usually results from stroke, brain tumor or other head trauma.

Referred to as visual chromatic cover therapy, Dr. Sadeghian’s approach stresses accurate diagnosis of the areas of the deficits followed by modification of the patient’s glasses based on information obtained through visual field exams. Specifically, once the areas of damage are established, the patient’s own prescription glasses – or simple non-prescription glasses of the patient’s choosing – are coated with a specific translucent paint by highly sensitive machines, spraying specific amounts of paint on specific areas of the lens based on the results of a visual field examination.  The patient is instructed to wear the glasses at all times for two weeks.

In the event improvement is detected within two weeks based on a new visual field examination, the patient is regularly monitored to ensure there is no relapse.

The concept is to force the brain to use a different pathway to get visual information to the visual centers of the brain (occipital lobe).

Click here to read the full article.

You might also enjoy...

Comments

7 Responses to “Visual Chromatic Cover Therapy Offers New Treatment Option for Hemianopia (Hemianopsia)”

1. Mary1949 on August 20th, 2011 1:29 pm

Where can Dr. Sadeghian’s new treatment for hemianopia be obtained in Florida? It sounds promising, and I need help for legal driving.

2. Jill Gunzel on August 20th, 2011 4:28 pm

I would like to correspond with Dr. Sadeghian about his treatment for hemianopsia. My husband has survived 2 years after diagnosis of a GBM brain tumor. He has hemianopsia and associated cognitive deficits. What would be involved in trying the colored glasses? Thank you.

3. Nicholas Staszko on August 21st, 2011 11:31 am

I suffer from left side hemianopia bue to TBI. I would like to learn much more about your treatment technique and how I may take advantage of your technique, Please let me know. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Nicholas Staszko

4. Dr. Ari Weitzner on August 21st, 2011 6:36 pm

We are only reporting on Dr. Sadeghian’s technique. Please contact him directly if you would like to be considered for treatment by him using his technique.

5. Nazli Howa on June 11th, 2012 11:40 pm

I have homonymous hermianopia as a result of ischemic stroke a year ago. and I would like to
    enquire about treatment from Dr.Sadeghian.
    I live in South Africa. Could you please provide me with his email address which I have been unable to locate online.

6. benny qvist on April 4th, 2013 5:44 am

I am 74 years old and I had an minor stroke 2007 who took some of my vision to the left on both eyes.I am an old traveling salesmen who lived my life in the car.Now I am not allowed to drive,but there is no problem to drive.Could your glasses help me to get the vision back.I been tested with Goldmann perimeter an could see 20 degrees and also in Humphfry perimeter and could see 20 degrees,but here in Sweden I need to see 30 degrees.Can you help me??
    Best regards
    Benny

7. ari on April 4th, 2013 9:38 pm

this treatment has not been fully analyzed and tested in peer-reviewed literature.

another treatment is available which helps the brain recover some of the visual field lost to stroke.its called vrt and involves staring at a computer which presents stimuli to both sides of the field. it takes quite a bit of time and effort, but it can improve the hemianopsia.