Lutein, Zeaxanthin and Other Eye Health Supplements See Strong Market Growth
January 17, 2011
According to analysts Frost & Sullivan, the US eye health ingredients market was $138m in 2008, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.3% from 2008 to 2015. The European market was valued at $43.4m in 2007 with a CAGR of 10.5 per cent from 2007 to 2014.
The ingredients leading the market include: lutein, zeaxanthin, astaxanthin, beta-carotene and bilberry, as well as vitamins A, C and E.
Aside from lutein, most of the ingredients are not well known to the consumer as beneficial for eye health. However, studies like AREDS, which assessed the effects of lutein, zeaxanthin, and omega-3 fatty acids in patients with AMD, and of AREDS2 results (expected approx. 2015) may boost awareness.
Risa Schulman, PhD
Expert, Healthy Food and Dietary Supplement Science and Marketing
You might also enjoy...
- Lutein and Eye Health Discussed at Recent Conference
- Asian Fruit Containing Lutein and Zeaxanthin May Protect from Diabetic Retinopathy
- AREDS and AREDS2: Recommendations
- Researchers Identify Lutein Binding Protein in Human Retina
- More Evidence for Positive Effect of Omega-3 in Dry Eye Sufferers
Jump down to form below to submit your own comments