Can Stem Cells be Used to Treat Optic Nerve Damage?

September 6, 2010

I am a 38 year old African American Female, and currently under the care of a retina specialist in St. Louis, Missouri. I was involved in an automobile accident on 5/13/2009 which caused me to lose my sight in my left eye. I was the driver and on impact I was struck in my left eye by the sun visor. After having surgery to remove the blood, I was told by my retina specialist that my optic nerve was badly damaged and due to this damage unfortunately I won’t regain my sight. After several follow up visits it was mentioned that with technology advancing there is talk of “stem cell” treatment for optic nerve damage. I would love to see again out of my left eye and was hoping with today’s technology that would be possible. Please advise on any help that could be available to me. Thank you.

Comments

74 Responses to “Can Stem Cells be Used to Treat Optic Nerve Damage?”

1. Teresa Horrox on May 30th, 2012 5:17 pm

My ex husband was badly burned in a motorcycle accident in 1997, there was no head trauma or eye damage from the accident. He was placed in a coma during burn treatments for approx. 4 months. when he was removed from the induced coma he was completely blind. doctors said it was cupping of optic nerve from unknown cause. would stem cell treatment work.

2. ari on June 5th, 2012 8:20 pm

no. im very sorry. hopefully in the future.

3. Nafi Khan on June 10th, 2012 2:53 am

Hi everyone. I had a problem with my father who had lost vision about six and half years ago. Then afterwards we came to know that he had the disease of Toxic Optic Neuropathy (TON). He is now totally blind. He is suffering a lot. In our country we consulted with many docs but their reply is negative. Other then we tried to know for the above disease to cure in India,Ukraine,USA and Singapore but they failed to reply us about the treatment of above disease. Is there any stem cell treatment about TON around the whole world? If anyone knows detail about it can reply me.

4. Jim Mason on June 27th, 2012 1:19 pm

I had a stroke in 2002 and because of optic nerve damage I had 35% vision lost. I was wondering about possible stem cell trials to repair this damage??

5. ari on June 29th, 2012 1:50 pm

none at this time. please see irv’s stem cell list of projects

6. Sundeep Dawale on October 7th, 2012 10:27 am

Hi everybody! I am so glad I came across this page. 2 weeks ago I suffered a motorbike accident and the brilliant spark that I am, I wasn’t wearing a helmet. I was knocked unconscious for 10 minutes, during which my wife with the help of bystanders immediately took me to the nearest hospital. When I opened my eyes I found that I had no vision in my left eye. Several high resolution CT orbit scans have been done and no fracture to the optic nerve has been observed. My eye doctor has advised me to simply accept reality and be thankful that I still have vision in one eye. He says unfortunately no pioneering research in stem cell therapy has yielded anything yet. But one still hopes. Keep us posted if anything comes up in this area.

Thank you Ari for responding to all the above queries.

7. Rani T. Oct 7, 2012 on October 7th, 2012 7:45 pm

My son is 27 years old and born in the US. He has been born with mild cerebral palsy which affect his optic nerve and his left side. He is legally blind. He sees better with left eye better rather than his right . He reads large print and wears a spectacle for distance which helps him walk and get around to some extent. I am hearing about stem cell research and I hope it will help him restore his sight and help him to see better. If anyone hear of anything or any trials please let me know. I’m willing to try anything to let my son restore his sight. Thanks rani

8. Rani T. Oct 7, 2012 on October 7th, 2012 7:49 pm

No, I don’t have any insights to contribute.

9. Terry Rocks on November 15th, 2012 8:55 am

I am 47 with optic nerve atraphy. Is there any stem cell treatment for this condition.
    I have been blind since age 5 and would be interested in any of the reasearch into this subject.

Terry

10. Dr. Ari Weitzner on November 15th, 2012 1:54 pm

none. sorry. it will be many years. feel free to consult the stem cell section here to see if there are any trials in your arae

11. Otaaghol on January 29th, 2013 3:01 pm

Dear all
    My father had a methanol intoxication and after a year he cannot see. (just little light)
    does anyone know is there any treatment for this kind of blindness?

12. ari on January 31st, 2013 1:57 pm

im afraid there is none.

13. Joseph Booth on March 3rd, 2013 11:16 pm

Where are these “world-class eye research centers located?”

14. Joseph Booth on March 3rd, 2013 11:17 pm

Where are the world-class eye research centers located?

15. Dr. Ari Weitzner on March 4th, 2013 7:34 pm

Check out the centers collaborating in ACTC’s stem cell trials.

See: http://www.advancedcell.com/patients/clinical-trial-information/

Also check out: http://www.closerlookatstemcells.org/

16. milind p on March 22nd, 2013 1:09 am

hello all,
    my bother sufering from macro pitutary adenoma, after doing all surgery and necessory treatments we found his recovery well m but actually his left eye optic nerve is damage ? is any way to get recover optic nerve in this condiiton. please suggest me doctors name so i will try to contact then directly

17. ari on March 27th, 2013 8:50 pm

please go to our stem cell section regarding research centers that might help.

18. Ragbhir Singh on April 4th, 2013 4:15 am

About 12 years back, my wife got injured in Left Eye due to accidental burst of Cracker on the eye. Lot of treatment was done in India but a permanent Scar developed on the Ratina, which disabled her to see through her left eye. Doctor’s told that some of her Optical nerves were also damaged in the accident. Can anybody help with a solution so as to regain the eye-sight of my wife?

19. ari on April 4th, 2013 9:34 pm

nothing can help if retina and nerve damaged. sorry.

20. Steven Kalabokes on May 18th, 2013 6:03 pm

My mom, who is 82, recently, about 5-6 weeks ago had shingles. The shingles is gone but my mom has Postherpetic neuralgia. The neuralgia has affected her right eye. Her right eye is extremely sensitive to light and she has pain around the orbital. She has been prescribed gabapentin(300 mg 3 times a day and a corticosteroid eye drop. Although some of the pain has subsided the eye pain is debilitating and doesn’t seem to be improving, at least not much. The Opthamologist also gave her eye drops that dilate her pupils. He says that the nerve, assuming optic nerve, has been damaged and is causing the eye muscles that open and close the pupils are spasmsatic causing the eye pain, hence the eye drops to dilate the pupils. Are there any other remedies or treatments available. This doesn’t seem to be working, at least not much.

21. ari on May 20th, 2013 3:34 pm

dilating drops, steroid drops- these are what we can give. the gaba pills are also typical. i dont have any other good ideas. in debilitating cases, we can give injection to numb the eye, but only in blind eyes do we consider that. consider non-steroidal drops like acular

22. Maaz on May 23rd, 2013 6:14 pm

hi…my cousin is 11 years she is blind due to over dose of oxygen at the time of birth….Seeking hope….Any one show me a hope…i ll be grateful. plz just tell me is there any hope….Her optic nerves is dry

23. Tumun on June 25th, 2013 1:34 am

dear all. my father got injury on right eye and doctors says the eye globe has been disturbed. The eye has become small which we see. and he is wearing a prosthetic eye. but the retina has not been affected by such injury as doctor says. can stem cell therapy help.? these recent development has given us a new hope. or such development in recent future can help?
    I am just praying this science must achieve its success. and i am confident this will happen. lots of patients are there who lost their eye in accidents.

24. Ran on September 20th, 2013 7:32 am

Hi Patel, did you get the stem cell treatment in Chennai? Did Dr. Himanshu Basnal help you?

Ran.