How to Address Fuch’s Dystrophy After Cataract Surgery?

July 29, 2010

I wrote you awhile back and asked you about Fuchs Dystrophy and cataract surgery.  I had my surgery 2 months ago and my vision is only 20/70.  I don’t think at this point it will get any better, but my eye surgeon said my eye is not bad enough for a corneal transplant.  Do you think glasses will help my vision at this point or not?  I always like to find out why things happen and I know sometimes there are no answers.  However, do you feel that my cornea swelled after surgery and this is what caused my blurry vison?  I felt a pop during surgery and I remember blinking and the dr. said NOT to blink – but it was hard not to as I felt a sort of stabbing in my eye.  After the surgery,  I had terrific pain in my eye and a terrible headache.  My eye was quite sore for days.  I always feel if my eye was covered, it would be easier for me – but I realize I can’t go through life with a patch over my eye either. However, having one bad eye throws you off balance at times and I find myself tripping a lot.  Thank you so much for any advice you have for me.  By the way, I am 71 yrs. old.

Comments

14 Responses to “How to Address Fuch’s Dystrophy After Cataract Surgery?”

1. ari weitzner on July 30th, 2010 10:24 am

pain during or after surgery is not an indication of good surgery. swelling after surgery is common in fuch’s- thats why we discuss the surgery so much with patients, as the corneal swelling will affect vision.
    only you can decide, really, if 20/70 vision is bad enough for a transplant. i think i would also be very unhappy and would agree to the transplant. i advise going to a corneal specialist for a consultation to make sure that indeed, your poor vision is secondary to the cornea and not to some other problem like with the optic nerve or retina (but i would imagine your ophthalmologist would have evaluated that), and to get his opinion re the transplant. you should not get a full transplant, but rather the newer procedure (called dlek or dsaek) to transplant only the inner layer. only see a corneal surgeon who is familiar with this procedure- it’s still kinds new.
    of course, if glasses would make you see better, your doctor would have prescribed glasses or sent you to an optometrist.

2. gloria on March 8th, 2011 3:41 pm

My eyes seem to be getting more cloudy every day. I will see my fuchs dystrophy specialist. He is in Houston, Texas. Does anyone know of any more Dr.’s in the Houston or Texas who specialize in just Fuchs. I really like my Dr. in the medical center. But, I found it hard to find just a fuchs Dr.
    thanks, gloria

3. ari on March 11th, 2011 5:11 am

you need a corneal specialist who does transplant surgery. no such thing as a fuchs specialist

4. Jeanne Adam on April 18th, 2011 8:37 pm

Well, I’m 12 days post-op from cataract surgery on R. Eye…second day post-op the swelling, and edema set in…very painful. But, this is par for Fuch’s patients. I have to tough it out ’til my DSAEK surgery on May 11. Will post update later. Again, my wonderful doc is Mark Gorovoy, M.D., in Ft. Myers, FL. So, glad I found him and he is two hours away from my home. I am 73 yr. old female.

5. Joy on April 22nd, 2011 1:45 pm

Gloria: If you are in Houston, you have probably the top cornea specialist around. He is Dr. John Goosey and very highly recommended by the Corneal Dystrophy Foundation executive director and co-founder, Bob Bellizzi.

Jeanne Adam: why didn’t your doc do cataract and DSEAK surgery simultaneously? Cataract surgery disturbs the endothelial cells and lowers the count, so the standard is if you need DSAEK, cataracts are removed at the same time.

6. Betty Wilson on August 15th, 2011 4:11 pm

July 5th, R eye cataract surgery went well. See clearly. July 12, cataract surgery resulted in them ‘finding a mild case of Fuch’s Dystrophy.’ I wish I could go back and never have the Left eye cataract removed. My eye is now in constant discomfort…no, not really bad pain, just blurry and discomfort. Just started on Muro128 drops and ointment. I am very discouraged. I wish I had KNOWN about the Fuchs Dystrophy FIRST and given a choice and told the TRUTH that cataract surgery makes the F.D. worse. Now, I have no idea what will happen. I DO NOT want a corneal transplant.

7. ari on August 16th, 2011 9:01 am

fuch’s should be noted prior to surgery. regardless, you probably needed the surgery anyway, as i assume your vision was not clear due to the cataract, and leaving the cataract in your eye, to get bigger and bigger, is not a great idea.

corneal transplant today for fuchs does not require stitiches or a long recovery period. its called dsaek or dlek. you should not rule it out, as it has a great chance of normalizing the eye and vision. first give your eye a good 3 months of healing and then see a corneal specialist who does this surgery (not too many do it)

8. Sherri on October 16th, 2011 12:01 pm

It is now 5 months after my cataract surrgery. I had to change Drs to find out I have fuchs dystrophy. The other Dr. kept saying YOU Will be better soon. I had better eye sight before I now wonder if I had cataracts at all, I had Lasik in that eye 10 yrs ago. SO my question to others. Do you think doctors are doing cataract surgery when the problem really was fuchs dystrophy?

9. ari on October 24th, 2011 9:09 am

an unethical/incompetent doctor will perform cataract surgery when he knows or should know the vision will be compromised due to any disease. fortunately, these kinds of doctors are not common. however, i always recommend a second opinion for any procedure.

10. Evelyn on February 15th, 2012 6:00 pm

I have cataracts, macular degeneration and Fuchs Dystrophy. I would like to have
    the cataracts removed. Are there any surgeons in the Boston area that you know of who would be best to consult.

11. ari on February 16th, 2012 8:46 am

just ask your primary doctor or ask friends, like you would looking for any specialist. i dont know anyone personally.

12. Susan Sisk on February 20th, 2012 4:42 pm

I have Fuch’s and am needing a corneal transplant. Need a good surgeon in Atlanta.

13. ari on February 22nd, 2012 2:29 pm

im afraid i know no one

14. Terry on March 18th, 2012 1:56 am

Dr. Barry Lee in Atlanta is great!