Is Stem Cell Therapy Available to Treat Retinopathy of Prematurity?

July 28, 2010

I would like to konow if there is any self stem cell therapy available for retinopathy of prematurity? My six year old son has lost complete vision due to ROP (stage 5) in both eyes in his third month. I am living in India.

Comments

32 Responses to “Is Stem Cell Therapy Available to Treat Retinopathy of Prematurity?”

1. ari weitzner on July 28th, 2010 8:34 pm

i am so sorry, but there is no stem cell treatment for anything inside the eye. stem cells have only been helpful for some surface disease. do not waste money on any stem cell treatment for rop. sorry.

2. rk thakur on September 11th, 2010 5:54 am

I have a 3 month old baby suffering from retinopathy of prematurity stage 5. The doctors are saying there is no hope, but we are still trying. The baby is presently undergoing treatment at sankar netralaya chennai. I too am from India, I am an air force officer, I am looking for feedback from other parents on how they have handled raising a child with ROP. I am optimistic about stem cell treatment for ROP in coming years.

3. Josh on September 12th, 2010 12:18 am

Since this post appeared, there have been subsequent posts on this site directing readers to online resources concerning stem cell research and treatments for eye diseases and other conditions:

Check these out:

4. mostafa elbehairy on September 28th, 2010 11:02 am

I’m from Egypt I have a child 8 years old were injured retinopathy of prematurity and look for any hope of healing and I have sure that God will be there a cure for such assignments soon

5. ari on October 6th, 2010 9:51 am

yes- let us hope research will yield fruit soon, but i dont think we’ll have anything for awhile.

6. behtash on October 9th, 2010 5:09 pm

Hello. I am 34 years old. When I was 6 years old my right eye was damaged by trauma and after that retinopathy, glaucoma and cataract were found in my eye. I would like to know if there is any stem cell therapy available for retinopathy of maturity? thanks.

7. nermin on October 29th, 2010 5:23 pm

i have a son who was born premature and had retinopathy of prematurity. During my search i came across site for Beike Biotech, which is involved in the development and commercialization of adult stem cell therapies. They already have tried doing stem cell treatments for ROP kids but i don’t know how far developed they are they. On their site they have several blogs for kids who undergone stem cell treatments.

8. Vasanth on January 26th, 2011 7:02 am

my baby boy was born premature and had retinopathy of prematurity 5th stage, we found that problem after 4 months later from birth. tried maximum solutions, but till now nothing happened, currently i have 2 options:

1.The Ayurvedic Eye hospital (SREEDHAREEYAM) – specially for eye related diseases, Kerala, India. from my side its really useful, they were giving the hope that at least they can rectify more than 50% of ROP, but min 3 to 6years, my son had both eyes problem, we are having a treatment there yearly twice.

2. Stems Cell Therapy for Eye Disease (for eye diseases such as macular degeneration, but not sure for ROP related). they were giving hope that 40 to 60% curable, but not sure for improvement in vision,i’ve mailed them related my baby issues, he had a chance to cure, but no guarantee, it will cost around $27,000 US.

these details are not sure, just i’m sharing my eye research for the benefit of other affected people like my son. if anybody finds the above is really useful or is aware of any other options, please inform me also, i will try for my son.

9. ari weitzner on January 26th, 2011 1:07 pm

please see the category on our blog related to stem cell therapies.

to my knowledge, there is no scientific proof that stem cell treatment can help rop or any retina disease.
    avastin and laser have been proven to help many eye diseases. the results are published in reputable journals. To my knowledge, there are no articles published about the effectiveness of stem cells, even though many centers have been doing it for years. If anyone can point me to an article, I’d appreciate it.

i dont understand what treatment you are getting twice a year for your child. The accepted treatment for rop is surgery: laser/cryo and sometimes vitrectomy/scleral buckle.

10. veeshan singh on February 1st, 2011 1:52 pm

my 4 year old son was born with stage 5 retinopathy of prematurity in both his eyes. i heard of glasses that may help. Can anyone advise?

11. ari weitzner on February 1st, 2011 3:58 pm

there are no special glasses. just regular glasses to correct the myopia/astigmatism

12. Raja on June 1st, 2011 7:06 am

Hi Every One
    We are from Hyderabad-India and I’m father twin baby girls aged 4 yrs, elder one is affected with ROP stage 5, by time it was diagnosed it was too late for Laser treatment and we have got operated at Shankar nethralaya-Chennai, but surgery was not successfully.

Just we are hoping on Stem cell treatment at China.

13. Syed Sameer Haider on June 8th, 2011 4:26 am

My daughter was born Premature in seven month. she was perfectly al right but after three weeks she had meningitis. and due to access of oxygen she had the problem of ROP. we came to know when she was 4 months old that she is ROP affected. now its stage five. she is operated once by a very good doctor in Pakistan. he said yet stem cells and chip technology is being worked out and within two to three years we will have this technology avaialable In pakistan. My Friends i have tried UK Moorefield hospital but they have no cure for ROP yet. But I am sure and confident that our children will be cured in time to come but pls keep on trying like i am doing. these days i am trying America and Singapore for same developments.
    If i have some positive feed whoch i know i will have i will share this with you all.
    for any details i have given my email address you can get details from me.

14. Kapil Soni on November 30th, 2011 12:24 pm

Hello, I have 1 year and 4month old baby boy suffering from ROP 5 in both eye. He got treatment from Shanker Netralya, Chennai. He has only light sensitivities. I receive mail from Beike Biotech some days earlier. They wrote that they have stem cell therapy for ROP and asked me to mail my Son’s report. I receive their call and they told me to get ready to visit China. But I am not confident about this treatment. Can somebody help me about the realty? Is there any stem cell therapy available in China? Is there any success of this treatment? I am very confused. Please help me.

15. Kapil Soni on December 1st, 2011 4:32 am

I am from India and have 1 and 1/2 year old son suffering form ROP 5 in both eyes. He got treatment at Shanker Netralya, Chennai (INDIA). He have light perception only. I received mail from Beike Biotech (China). They told me that they have stem cell treatment for my son. I mailed my son’s report and after few days get their reply. They told me to get ready to visit China. I want to know realty. Is there any stem cell treatment available in China and if available then is it successful? Please give your Precious advice. Thanks.

16. ari on December 2nd, 2011 9:49 am

if you are a wealthy man with money to burn, then go. otherwise, you are paying a lot of money that has ZERO record of published success in legitimate medical journals. why would you believe them if they tell you it works? why dont they publish their data in respected medical journals like the rest of humanity? personally, i would never do it for my son. your only option is to look into world-class eye institutions where real scientific clinical trials are underway and who publish their data in legitimate respected medical journals.

17. Lou david on January 26th, 2012 1:08 am

Hi I have a 7 month premature baby delivered last October 19,2011 and had diagnosed ROP january 25, 2012 in his left eye and right eye will have a great chance to be ok.. the dr said that it’s on stage 5.. I am so scared we are scheduled to visit a retina specialist in Makati City Philippines to get second opinion and get educated regarding to this problem..I really need your help and some advice from parents out there that have this same situation.

18. ari on January 26th, 2012 11:36 am

stage 5 has a very poor prognosis, im afraid. there is a lot of info on the internet, but a 2nd opinion is the best way to get info.

19. Lou david on January 29th, 2012 3:34 am

Thanks for the reply…will do more research.. God bless!

20. salim on February 21st, 2012 6:13 pm

I had my premature twins 16 years ago. They were diagnosed of ROP after three months.i went with them to Klinikum Germany in a town called gottengun. They were indeed treated with one eye only.Now they have walking vision.I helped them with magnifying aids which i found cheaper in U.S.A. Now they go to ordinary school with their computers and magnifiers. Visit enhancedvision.com . Dont loose hope,they are our children and we want the best for them…………

21. kiran on July 5th, 2012 4:25 am

Hi All,
    I have done lot of research on ROP related treatments. No specific and promised treatment available as of now in the world. I also enquired with Bieke Biotech. But, could not find promising results. They have no answers to my questions on ROP treatment.

One thing we need to understand, Surgery need to be performed ASAP after retina is detatched. My kid has ROP stage 5 and we found this after 6 months of her birth. Neonatal doctors who treated didn’t tell us about ROP scanning, nor they didn’t perform any eye related scanning as far as i know . It is nowhere metioned in her discharge report. If the time period increase after detatchment, surgery also won’t help to a good extent. I contacted Bieke biotech, and talked to one doctor who is actually involved in stem cell treatment. I asked him several questions. But, did not get correct answers. He is always saying this is a new treatment. But, they cannot guarantee on the results.

I am waiting for something would come in the future as researchers progressing to create retina tissue with stem cells to transplant. Let’s wait and pray till some good treatment comes up. Don’t waste your money on any unproven methods.

22. nermin on July 10th, 2012 10:45 am

i have also a 5 years old boy born premature, we found out about his ROP when he was four month old with stage 4B ROP…. he got diagnosed at Egypt and his doctor recommended either to travel to USA Detroit – Dr. Michael Tracy or to Belgium- Dr. Carl Claes… and we did travel to Belgium and dr. claes is absolutely wonderful my son did his surgery on his left eye …. but as you all know the results were limited and he has a poor vision on his left eye… he wears a contact lens on his eye and we do eye patching as much as we can as an attempt to keep this eye working and avoid lazy eye…. i try to follow up with dr. claes from time to time hoping if there is any new treatment…. we also keep on following up with his Egyptian doctor Dr. Hany Hamza and i asked about Stem cells treatment which he informed me that there is no scientific evidence of curing ROP with stem cells at present… I hope from God that there will be a cure for our kids … so what i recommend is keep on looking and searching until we find something….

23. shruti on July 12th, 2012 11:48 am

Hi i hav a 50days old baby boy with rop stage 5 his vision is probably 2 to 5 percent we hav been reffered to shankara netralaya for surgery can anyone tell me what are the chances that he gets atleast 59 % vision?% PLZ ANS WE DONT WANT TO.BE LATE

24. Filip on September 6th, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi, we live in the Czech Republic, Europe. Three years ago our family has adopted a 16 years old girl with ROP in both eyes – for many years she has no light sensitivity. Like many others in this discussion I also hope that in future stem cell will we able to improve her vission. BUT regardless possible treatment in future I would like to encourage the parent of young children with a risk of complete blindness. The life of our daughter and other blind children that we have met in her school and their club could be as happy as other children. She experiences all the problems, happiness, loves and hates like other teenagers. She is doing so good with computer, she is “watching” films (as she says to hearing films), she read so quicky with tactile books, she skies with us in winter (both cross country and down hill skiing) or skates with us on the lake. In summer she enjoys swimming, riding a double bycicle, or just hiking with us. She also loves singing and she si just starting her 1st year od studies of popular singing at Prague Conservatory. Before we met her and before we decided to adopt her into out family (we have 3 other healthy children) I have alwas thought that blind people’s life must be very sad – but now I know that’t not true. I wist the best to everyone. Filip

25. richard on October 25th, 2012 9:52 am

i am a teenager who has stage 5 ROP and i am blind in my left eye i wanted to know if any treatments were available to give me sight in that eye ( my right one has sight) i went through cryotherapy when i was a child

26. ari on November 7th, 2012 10:11 am

nothing is available. sorry.

27. Jerri on June 27th, 2013 9:09 pm

My son was born in December 2006 at 24 weeks. He had no problems except ROP. He underwent laser surgery at 3 months and is now legally blind. We are going to Thailand for stem cell treatment as soon as we raise enough money! I’ve seen comments on here that it’s a waste of money. I believe that even if it helps a little it’s NOT a waste of money! You can follow his progress on our fundraiser page if you’d like. http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/helping-justin-see-his-future-/58229 If that link doesn’t work properly go to youcaring.com and search Goleman.

28. Dr. Ari Weitzner on July 14th, 2013 12:52 am

if you have money to burn, then i guess its not a waste of money. thailand most certainly does not have stem cell technology that is not available elsewhere in the western world. good luck….

29. S N TIWARI on August 21st, 2013 12:36 am

My grandson aged 6 years has myopic astigmatism. As advised his treatment is possible only by laser treatment after he attains an age of 12 years.
    My daughter is in very advance stage of 2nd child birth and we have consulted multiple stemcell collector here in mumbai. But non of them have come out with a convincing statement as to whether Myopic Astigmatism cure is possible.
    As informed this is a Genetic disorder, so whether Stem cell collection during second child birth shall be effective.
    Please Please respond to my E Mail if there is a hope.

30. ari on August 21st, 2013 11:31 am

myopic astig is not a genetic disorder and is not treatable with stem cells. i recommend glasses/contact lenses

31. Gauri on September 5th, 2013 11:32 am

Vasanth on January 26th, 2011 mentioned about the “The Ayurvedic Eye hospital (SREEDHAREEYAM) “.
    I would like to know if there is really any hope here.
    My niece is 4 years old (ROP Stage 5). She was operated at ‘Sankar Netralaya’. But it was unsuccessful.
    Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Gauri

32. ari on October 8th, 2013 11:58 pm

again- stem cell treatments are experimental. please check out stem cell section for study centers