Crystalens or Restor as a Multifocal IOL After Cataract Surgery?

April 1, 2010

I am 40 yrs old and in need of cataract surgery. I have taken prednisone and inhaled steroids for asthma, which may have contributed to the formation of cataracts.

I knew nothing of monofocal or multifocal IOL’s when I started to suffer degraded vision in my left eye. I received opinions from 2 optometrists. One was for Restor and one for Crystalens. It may have just been the $3000 extra per eye over a monofocal IOL, but my initial impression was that the multifocal lenses were some sort of shady up-sell.

Now after thinking about it, I really do not want to have to rely on 2-3 pair of glasses and feel the extra $$$ might be worth it. I have worn glasses or contacts since grade school and am a pretty active guy. I set my mind on getting a multifocal lense after my second opinion (better bedside manner). This second optometrist recommended Restor, while the first optometrist had recommended Crystalens.

I am all bet set to get this done next month, but I am second guessing now. Can you recommend some impartial reading on the subject? My right eye is supposedly about a year behind in needing surgery.

Comments

138 Responses to “Crystalens or Restor as a Multifocal IOL After Cataract Surgery?”

1. Mick on April 1st, 2010 1:54 pm

There is some interesting discussion on the MedHelp website which helped a lot to formulate an opinion for me.

I am a 51 year old male in the UK and had cataract surgery on my non-dominant left eye last Friday. My prescription was -8.00 in my right eye, -6.50 in my left, with about +1.5 of presbyopia. I was advised by my surgeon not to go for multifocal implants given my short-sightedness, as they would most likely cause unacceptable glare and halos, which is well known as their achilles heel due to design. I decided to go for monovision using monofocals – with the non-dominant set for near, and dominant right-eye set for distance. I am happy with the results so far but it will take several weeks to fully adapt.

I would advise reading up as much as possible before surgery. Unfortunately, you will find there is no perfect solution for your vision. Just aim for the best compromise depending on your lifestyle.

2. ari weitzner on April 1st, 2010 4:44 pm

restor is much better for close reading than crystalens. crytalens and restor may be about the same for intermediate (arm’s length). restor has higher risk of halos/sunburst, esp during night driving- crystalens has almost zero risk. i think restor is much more popular than crystalens at this time. from what i hear from experts who do alot of these implants, restor is better overall. there is some controversy about crystalens- whether it really works at all (it works by being pushed forward by your natural focusing muscles, but some studies suggest it doesn’t move at all. the restor doesnt move- it has like a bullseye pattern of circles that create multiple images simultaneously, and your brain kinda automatically focuses on the clear one at any given time depending if you are looking far or near).
    if you do a lot of night driving, be very careful about the restor.

3. ari weitzner on April 2nd, 2010 6:24 pm

monovision happens to be a very good option, and there is no extra charge. a well-known surgeon (his name escapes me) advocates it strongly over multifocals. he shoots for about -1.50 in the non-dominant eye, and his patients are very pleased.
    btw, multifocal’s side effects are unrelated to how near-sighted you are.

4. Mick on April 3rd, 2010 6:07 am

There are advantages and disadvantages to both types. Monovision is good for range and quality of vision, but depth perception is reduced because your eyes are working independently to each other and a minority of people do not adapt. In my case, I had contact lenses previously set to monovision with +1.00 in my left eye about 2 years ago, to help with reading without glasses. It took about a week for me to adapt and worked well for a year, but presbyopia got worse and I needed reading glasses in the 2nd year. I think that +1.50 in your non-dominant is a good target to aim for, I have seen various research supporting this view, and this is what I went for.

I am pleased that I didn’t go for multifocals in the end – not sure how I would have got on with the possibility of glare/halos/starburst, reduced contrast sensitivity at night, weak intermediate vision with diffractive lenses etc. I have none of these problems with my monofocal at the moment and don’t expect to. There appear to be more cases of explants with multifocals as opposed to monofocals and is not something you would want to go through in my opinion.

5. ari weitzner on April 3rd, 2010 8:30 pm

mick- your reasoning is excellent. you touch on all the legitimate concerns about multifocals. patients need to be very motivated to be spectacle-independent in order to be happy with these lenses and to tolerate the side effects. if one picks the right patient population, the satisfaction rates are very high- 95% or so.

6. Amy on April 22nd, 2010 11:28 pm

btw, multifocal’s side effects are unrelated to how near-sighted you are.

7. Mitch on June 9th, 2010 1:55 pm

I started this string asking for help. Thanks for the responses. I am still on the fence. I just read an article about NanoFLEX IOL which is considered an FDA approved standard IOL that has shown more focusing ability than other standard IOLs, showing near and intermediate vision comparable to premium lenses. Currently they are seeking approval as an accommodating lens, until then, Medicare reimburses full cost. Has anyone heard anything on this lens?

Thanks-

8. Robert Bellizzi on July 10th, 2010 6:54 pm

Please note that none of the previous respondents mentioned Fuchs’ as one of their issues. We have a large group of over 2200 Fuchs’ Dystrophy patients on line and we have noticed two major issues with multifocal lenses of any type.

Neither Medicare, Medicare Advantage (private insurance that ‘replaces’ Medicare) nor non Medicare patients’ major medical insurance covers any lens other than the standard lens. Multifocal lenses seem to run over $3000 each and that’s a whopper of non covered cost for patients.

Of possibly 30 of our members or more who have had a multifocal lens installed have had strong complaints about glare and other issues. For many the problem was intolerable and they paid to have them removed. Removal is problematic because the natural lens capsule tends to grow around the plastic centering/retaining springs which can break during removal and pierce the lens capsule and fall into the main eye globe where they may cause damage to the retina or other parts.

The number 30 is approximate but the complaints were from all but one individual.

We are in constant contact with a large number of surgeons who specialize in Fuchs’ Corneal Dystrophy all of whom discourage their patients and our members from having multifocal lenses installed.

Robert Bellizzi, Executive Director
    The Corneal Dystrophy Foundation

9. Tom Kogan on August 28th, 2010 5:14 pm

When I was 68 years old and an active private pilot, my doctor in Florida recommended that I go for the Crystalens. He placed the lens in my left eye (price $1500.00 over medicare) and a few weeks later he placed a ReStor lens in my right eye, (I thought he was putting in a Crystalens.) and it was also $1500.00.
    When I came back to Maryland, the right eye (with the ReStor lens) was blurred, so I went back to Florida and told the Doctor that something was wrong, at first, he told me to take some drops, and I said can you just remove the ReStor lens and put in the Crystalens, and he replied, well o.k. if I can get it out. Now the vision in my right eye was almost destroyed and went back had he walked in and said well, you have glaucoma, it’s like a thief in the night and that is what happened to your right eye. I went to six different eye doctors after that and they all just put me off like they did not know what happened, I could not even wear glasses because none worked. It became a nightmare scenario. After four years of trying new doctors and new glasses, I finally had one of them tell me. Tom, he broke the capsule. I did not know what he was talking about. He explained that in rare cases, the doctor breaks the capsule. So, after four years and numerous doctors and glasses, I finally found out what happened. Now it is too late to do anything about it and I have to live with this “messed up” vision the rest of my life, and to add insult to injury, I found out that he had replaced the ReStor lens with a regular lens and never refunded the $1500.00 dollars that I paid for the ReStor lens.

10. ari weitzner on August 29th, 2010 5:02 pm

yeesh. when i have a patient who comes for a second opinion, i always tell them exactly what i find. usually, the surgeon is not at fault, and i explain that, too. if the surgeon is at fault, then i am honest about that as well. breaking the capsule happens to every excellent surgeon, esp. in tricky cases like replacing an implant. breaking the capsule can cause cme- fluid builds up in the back of the eye and blurs the vision. i dont know what the story is with glaucoma in your case. that should be something that should be detected prior to surgery unless the cataract is very advanced and the view of the optic nerve is difficult. damage to the vision from glaucoma takes many many years to occur- it makes no sense to me that no glaucoma was suspected prior to surgery, yet somehow you lost vision to glaucoma after the surgery.
    re: not getting a refund on the second implant–that’s a tough one. the surgeon cannot get a refund for that lens from the company. when you paid for that lens, i think it should have been explained to you that if it doesn’t work out, you dont get a refund. thats what i do with my patients. if the capsule did not break, the surgeon would probably had given you a crystalens free of charge as a courtesy. since you did not get that crystalens, maybe the doctor would be willing to negotiate a partial refund. maybe you can call alcon (they make the restor lens) and tell them your story. maybe they will give you a refund? i am sure they dont want miserable patients bad-mouthing restor!

11. Atif on September 3rd, 2010 9:55 am

Hi everyone, I am a 25 year old male (in uk) about to get surgery in both eyes for cataracts. I know I’m very young to have them but i have been given 3 options: monofocals, multifocals or crystalens accomodative lens.

I cannot get monovision since i have been told that i may never adjust due to never requiring glasses before now.

Can anyone advise on what they suggest i should opt for? i dont want to be dependent on reading glasses forever which is why i am swaying away from monofocals, and due to the negative press about multifocals, I am considering crystalens accomodative lens but have heard that they don’t really work either and are just a fancy monofocal?! I am getting a 2nd opinion but any advice here would be very much appreciated thanks.

12. ari weitzner on September 7th, 2010 9:15 pm

you are right about everything except the monovision- i wouldn’t blow it off so fast. try asking your eye doctor to put disposable contact lenses on you to simulate monovision for a couple of weeks. to have one eye slightly myopic- –about -1.50— is really not bad, and will allow you to use a computer w/o glasses. worst case scenario- you wear some glasses. honestly, as an ophthalmologist, thats the way i would go for my own eyes.

13. Kim, Akron Oh on October 14th, 2010 10:39 am

wondering if you’ve had your surgery yet?? I am 39 y/o and had cataract surgery over a year ago on my right eye. Prior to that I never wore glasses or even had an eye doctor. It was suggested by my eye surgeon to go with the multifocal (Restor) lens since I had never wore glasses and also might have a hard time adjusting to a single vision lens. My experience with the mutifocal has been good and not so good. My distance is great; however I am wearing readers as I am typing. My intermediate vision is very poor, which I was not expecting and I also have severe halos around lights at night.

I am due to have my left eye done next month and am considering a single vision lens but am concerned about how both eyes will work together with two different types of lenses.

Anyone out there with the same experience??

14. ari on October 14th, 2010 1:34 pm

i am surprised you were given a multifocal in only 1 eye- those lenses really only work well when both eyes are implanted. you may be happier with both eyes implanted. hard to say what to do here- you may still be stuck with suboptimal near/intermediate

15. vivian mower on December 4th, 2010 5:58 pm

Too many problems with multifocal and even Cyrstalens. I am so glad I chose monofocal with blended monovision. I can see so much–distance excellent, also car dashboard, applying make-up, watching TV, much more, even most restaurant menus, etc. Many ophthalmologists focus the patients’ attention on the premium IOLs only; thus the patients assume ,they must choose a premium IOL. Beware of “eye centers” which show promotional videos on premium IOLs, recommend the premium IOLs and don’t discuss the advantages of the standard monofocal IOL. Vivian Mower

16. Dr. Ari Weitzner on December 5th, 2010 10:48 am

you make an an excellent point. a well-known surgeon- i forget his name- is a big advocate of monovision and feels it is superior to the premium iol’s, and at zero cost. patients should definitely ask about this option.

17. Tom Kogan on December 7th, 2010 11:29 pm

Let me explain further. I lived in Western Maryland prior to buying a condo and moving to Florida when I was 68.. My eye doctor in Cumberland Md. diagnosed me with glaucoma, but when I went to the Eye Centers of Florida, Dr. Brown told me that I did not have glaucoma and discontinued the drops, and since I am not a Doctor.. I believed him. On a later visit, he “recommended” that I have the Crystalens implants. The left eye went well, except for a “mid vision” problem, later when I thought I was getting a Crystalens in the right eye, he put in a Restor lens and I knew immediately something was wrong. The next day, everything that was supposed to be green was “red” in the right eye. In the meantime, I came back to Maryland. It never did clear up and later when I went back down and the lens was “changed out” the problem got worse. That’s when he told me that the glaucoma had come like “a thief in the night” and walked out. It has been a “nightmare” every since. I am now 74 years old, and my present Doctor in VA. finally got tired of me asking him if there was something he could do for my right eye, he said “look Tom, the doctor in Florida broke your capsule, the bad thing is, he was not up front with you”. This hit me like a ton of bricks. I could never understand what happened up to that point. Now I am furious at the Doctor in Florida for damaging my eye and then lying about it, and there is nothing I can do but “live” with this mess for the rest of my life.

18. Ben (Gatineau, Quebec, Canada) on January 20th, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi,

My cataract surgery is supposed to be in February 2011. I am 43, never had glasses, contacts. Vision problems started in Summer 2010. Had my eyes checked in October 2010 and was told left dominant eye has cataract, ready for surgery and my right eye has a beginning of cataract.

I am suppose to get the Monofocal Tecnis IOL. Of course I have to make a decision if I want the Multifocal instead…and after reading a lot online on the pros and cons of both lenses…I believe I will stick with the Monofocal suggested by my doctor. Cheaper also, ($260 CDN out of my pocket) compare to almost $1000 CDN out of my pocket for Multifocal) but money was not the factor.

I am very active, I am driving at night very often (and now it is very bad), so it is very important for me not to have the Halos and other side effects of the Mutifocal.

Reading Forums like this and having the advice of Doctors, really helps in making such an important decision.

So, left dominant eye in February 2011and right eye two months or so later. I will write again to let people know how my experienec went.

Note: I believe I have read that it is suggested to have one eye done for distance and one eye done for close-up? Is the info correct or is it case by case and as per the doc?

Thank you all!

19. ari weitzner on January 21st, 2011 12:17 pm

i think you made a very wise, informed decision.

since you are so young, give serious thought to making the non-dominant eye a little near-sighted (about -1.50)- this way, chances are high you can do a lot of computer/reading work w/o glasses. otherwise, you will be completely dependent on reading glasses when you work. it is a proven, well-tolerated strategy. if the -1.50 bothers you when you drive, it’s a simple matter to buy a pair of glasses for driving to make the non-dominant eye equally sharp.

by the way, there is no reason to wait 2 months between operations. i typically wait 1 week.

20. Ben (Gatineau, Quebec, Canada) on January 21st, 2011 4:55 pm

Thank you for your comments.

I have to go before February 11th to pay for my first len, before the surgery. I will inform the doctor about my choice (Monofocal) and ask her about what you suggested, -1.50 in the non-dominant eye.

As for the second eye surgery, it is only due to delays due to long waiting list. For the first eye, I was told in October that the waiting was approx. 4 months..so February. I could have had surgery in November 2010 if I would have went private (Lasik MD), however, insurance wont cover, and it’s $2400 each eye.

Thanks again for your input.

21. Dr. Ari Weitzner on January 22nd, 2011 7:52 pm

oh- youre from canada- that explains the delay. here in the states, there is no delay.

22. Judy in Texas on April 4th, 2011 5:17 am

I’ve not seen addressed here, something which I wish I’d known about. At 58, I was told I had cataracts in both eyes. I was surprised. The ophthalmologist said they should both come out, because they had learned it was much better to remove them early, as it became more difficult as they thickened. She gave options, but recommended the Crystalens HD, saying it had received great reviews. So, the plan was to put them in both eyes, a week apart. After putting one in my right eye, yes, I had 20/25 vision (compared to earlier 20/50); however, I also had halo’s, blurring, and loss of depth perception. Also, I had lost much of my peripheral vision, and it felt I was peering out from behind a black rim. They said the latter happened sometimes and YAG laser surgery was common to correct this. So, I had YAG. It helped for a wider view, and less black rim. But 4 months later, I still felt like I was looking out of a hole in the ground. They did some more YAG, and again, it did help my viewing area seem larger, but none of the other things changed, and in fact were getting much worse. They kept encouraging me to do the other eye (cataract surgery), as I’d put it off so fearful of a similar outcome.

Now, 3 years later, and after going to about 5 doctors, I just went to a retina specialist 3 days ago. He doesn’t know why this wasn’t picked up on, but the blurriness, spots, lack of clarity, etc. are because I have diabetic retinopathy. He said the retina hemorrhages I have indicate I’ve had the problem over 10 years, and that due to my condition, I should have only had the cataract removal if it was entirely essential, because if you have retinopathy, having cataract surgery will most likely accelerate the problems with your retina.

The retinal specialist said absolutely do not have cataract surgery on the other eye, in hopes we can get this under control some, plus that certain steps should be done before surgery if a person has the diabetic retinopathy. Keep in mind that on any blood tests, I “never” had a blood sugar reading A1C over 6.7, so was under the guideline of what was considered diabetic. I would suggest that anyone who has a lot of blurriness, or is over 50, have a good retina check before having cataract surgery.

23. ari on April 4th, 2011 4:56 pm

any ophthalmologist should be able to detect diabetic retinopathy prior/after surgery, unless the cataract is very advanced. instead, i would recommend a 2nd opinion- especially when the cataracts are not bothering you too much. true- removing a cataract earlier is sometimes better than later, but that typically applies to mature cataract, or if there are other conditions that make the surgery more risky, like pseudoexfoliation. it could easily take 5-10 years for an early cataract to become a problem for a patient, so no need to have it removed so soon- unless, of course, the patient is unhappy with the vision, where the cataract should be removed immediately. and yes- retinoapthy must be controlled prior to surgery, and may certainly get worse afterwards.

24. Nasir Abbas on April 10th, 2011 9:20 am

It was very confusing to decide whether to have a mono-focal IOL or a multi-focal IOL implanted and if multi-focal then which brand? After comparing all options and considering that Restor is the most popular and my doctor was experienced with Restor I only had to decide one more thing. Mono or multi-focal. My biggest concerns were halo and night vision as well as the success rate of only about 80% in becoming completely glasses free meaning that I could be spending additional $5000 for nothing. My doctor was very straightforward and very neutral and honest in explaining the pros and cons of each choice I could make.

Considering that I had many years of career remaining and the inconvenience of putting on glasses for working on computer and reading and also that this a choice that will affect rest of my life I decided to take the chance on multi-focal Restor.

I got implant in my left eye on March 17, 2011 and in right eye on April 7, 2011. So far I am extremely pleased with the choice I made. I can already read fine prints in bright light which my 28 year old son says is not easy to read!. My distant vision is better than ever I can recall and my doctor says that it will improve further! I realize that I could end up in the 20% unfortunate patients but if I had to do it all over again I will not change a thing. After all it is a decision that affects the quality of my life for the next at least two decades I am expected to live. I am taking chances almost every day in my life with or without realizing it. Why not take a 80% chance for the betterment of life?

I hope my experience will help someone else making his/her decision easier.

25. Nasir Abbas on April 10th, 2011 9:25 am

By the way, halo is nothing compared to what I imagined and i find it not a problem at all. Night driving is in fact better than my pre-op vision.

26. ari on April 11th, 2011 2:54 pm

great to hear such a satisfied patient!

27. Maggie on July 23rd, 2011 1:51 pm

I’m 61 and had a monofocal IOL implanted after cataract surgey this month and the other eye is going to be done next week. I have worn glasses since I was 8 yr old and I THOUGHT I was getting a multifocal. Now that I could not see distance as I thought I would the doctor said he used monofocal because my eye would not adapt to balance issues. I did have a bout of optic neuritis in the past and a neurological disease and am severely nearsighted. My doctor is the best and I trust him completely, but I feel like I never had input.

Has anyone ever had the monofocal removed and replaced with a multifocal IOL?

28. Dr. Ari Weitzner on July 24th, 2011 12:50 pm

you are not a good candidate for multifocal if you had optic neuritis. your surgeon did the right thing, but i suppose he should have discussed it further with you so it would have been clear prior to surgery.
    if a patient is really miserable and wants multifocal, the lens can certainly be replaced. but again, this would be rare, as doctors typically discuss the iol’s prior to surgery. on the other hand, a minority of patients (3% or so?) have the mulifocal removed and replaced with monofocal due to dissatisfaction with the multifocal.

29. Maggie on July 24th, 2011 9:33 pm

Thank you Dr Ari. I am worried becaues now my dashboard is blurry completely and headlites are ery glaring again. I am due to have my other eye done this week. My doctor would always do what is in my interest and I have NO doubts of that. However, now that I have done my homework is it reasonable to cancel that second surgery and sit down and really discuss this fear and what I am doing?Thank you for your input.

30. Tom on August 5th, 2011 4:04 pm

I have had cataracts for at least 10 years, but not enough to impair my daily living or warrant surgery. This year my new eyeglass Rx did not improve my vision, so it was time to go ahead and take care of the problem. My opthomolgist advised me to receive the best vision with my particular history, bilateral monofcals both set for near vision, was the way to go. I have had a past history of a couple bouts of optic neuritis and nearsighted since my youth.
    Does anyone possibly know the reason a multifocal lens implant would not be a viable option given my history?

31. ari on August 11th, 2011 11:39 am

a history of optic neuritis makes you a bad candidate for multifocal. the tissues of the eye (cornea, retina, optic nerve) have to be in near perfect shape in order to get the most of these lenses. your surgeon did you a favor- thank him!

32. Tom on August 21st, 2011 10:05 pm

I AGREE..in fact, I am very pleased with the results! I see so much more at close range than I ever had and appreciate his decision. Perhaps patients hear about what others have and you wonder, but I appreciate your comments. Bottom line, I can see and that is all that matters!

33. Kathy on September 2nd, 2011 2:06 pm

July 6 had surgery on right (dominant) eye and August 3 on left eye. Crystalens in both. After first eye, I was skeptical about getting second eye done with Crystalens as believed I would have good far and mid vision, but didn’t. Because of the way the lens seated itself, I was left with excellent mid vision and very good near vision. Based on the outcome of first eye, dr. made adjustment to strength of second lens. I now have 20/20 in second eye for distance and fair mid vision. I am able to go without glasses entirely, although wasn’t exactly as planned. There are really no guarantees on the outcome no matter what you decide to go with. With each passing day, my brain is learning to adapt to my new eyes. Although I think we would all like perfection, I don’t think any lens will give you that.

34. don on September 7th, 2011 7:50 pm

I have 2 have 2 cataracts done. Think I will go with mono lenses after reading comments. I take Flomax daily and my doc says not to worry. Is he correct. Can he do the surgery with no problems? Thanks.

35. ari on September 8th, 2011 11:40 am

flomax makes it harder, with a slightly higher complication rate, but we have ways of dealing with it. leaving the cataract in the eye to get larger with time is the worst option.

36. Dorota on September 11th, 2011 9:58 pm

Sept 30,2011 I am going to have my second cataract surgery done. By tomorrow I have to decide what kind of IOL- mono or multifocal I prefer. Since my first surgery 2 years ago, I really do not like all these side effects, what I was not informed about with my multifocal ReSTOR lens in my right eye. Halos and blurriness at night are really disturbing. I also have a grey shadow behind the letters with the close reading. However I have to admit, I have regained my ability to read without the reading glasses ( aprox 1.5 year after the surgery). I was told that the same ReSTOR multifocal IOL is recommended but I have a right of choosing otherwise. I am opting right now for monofocal IOL in my left eye for near vision with existing multifocal ReSTOR IOL in my right eye. Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

37. ari on September 12th, 2011 9:52 am

hard to say! restor works best when used binocularly, so you may want to try it. you could go back to the operating room a couple of weeks later to replace the iol- it should not be terribly difficult to replace before the iol scars in place. if you want to be conservative- choose near mono as you suggest.

38. paula hendrikse on October 26th, 2011 10:24 am

hi there ,
    i am 43 and never had a problem with my eyes ,only the last month i noticed reading menus at night difficult ,i visted the eye hospital to be told i have cataracts in both eyes the right eye is blurry and the left still ok. i wonder what lens would be recommended as i paint a lot and would hate to be left unable to do that .also is it better to wait and see what happens my doctor was planning an operation for a week after the first meeting ,which i found a little scary because i need to think about lenses. any help ?

39. ari on October 26th, 2011 9:43 pm

your vision will be excellent after surgery. the question only is- with or without glasses. you have to discuss at length the options, risks etc with your surgeon.

40. Kathryn on November 16th, 2011 12:14 pm

I am scheduled to have a multifocal lens replaced in my left eye during my cataract surgery next week. I am having doubts about the multifocal lens, concerned that I will have trouble driving at night, and seeing contrasts. At 53, I have worn multifocal contact lenses for the past 10 years with great success. Do you think that monovision might be a good option for me to replace the multifocal lenses as scheduled?,

41. ari on November 18th, 2011 9:45 am

if you are really concerend about night driving and loss of contrast (not an unreasonable fear), then yes, i advise monovision.

42. ari on November 18th, 2011 9:46 am

1 last thing- crystalens has no such drawbacks- but the reading vision is not as good. better for intermediate vision.

43. Cheryl on November 26th, 2011 7:52 pm

I am 61 and had cataract surgery on the right eye 11 days ago and on the left eye 4 days ago. I have been severely nearsighted and wore glasses at age 5. I started wearing contact lenses when they first came out (hard lenses) and switched to gas permeable monovision lenses about 6 years ago. Lately, I wore my glasses more often than my contacts because the contacts were no longer comfortable and my eyes are somewhat dry.

I began to have rapidly growing cataract in my right eye causing blurriness and color compromise. The left eye was not quite as bad, but still causing symptoms.

I decided to have Restore multi-focal iol inserted in both eyes. Although I wore monofocal contacts, I was wearing bi-focal glasses more often.

My first surgery on the right eye went off without a hitch. Although blurry the first day, I could tell that behind that little curtain – there was clear distance vision. It felt like a miracle – and over the course of 4-5 days – i was simply amazed. I saw clear, distinct images for the first time, and colors were brighter. Being dependent on corrective lenses my whole life – suddenly I could see!

I couldn’t wait to get the second lens done a week later -as that interim week is a challenge being so nearsighted!

The left eye was done 4 days ago – and right away I had pain and scratchiness. Dr. said my cornea was scratched and he placed a contact lens bandaid on it. Then he said my eye pressure was high and he released fluid. Since then, it has healed well, no pain. And it is getting clearer each day.

BUT….now, 11 days after the right eye surgery – the right eye is becoming somewhat blurry. Sometimes, when I blink, I get what seems like a film or fluid that floats over my eye and causes a blur for a second – then passes. This is particularly noticeable when at the computer, which I am – a lot. It reminds me of a floater – only instead of being dark and string-like – it is opaque and fluid-like.

It is increasing each day now – and somewhat irritating. If I were to be told that there is nothing that can be done – and to live with it – that would be difficult. Because it reminds me a little of what the cataract looked like! When that blurry spot is not floating onto my eye, my vision is AMAZING. But when it is there, I strain to see.

I put on some readers -and that helps me see the computer – but the sensation of something floating over my right eye vision is difficult to ignore.

My left eye does not have this and when it is fully healed – I think the vision will be great in it.

I don’t care about things like halos, but I’m concerned about this floating thing in my right eye. I don’t see my doctor for another 2 1/2 weeks. Should I see him sooner?

Thanks for any input.

44. Cheryl on November 27th, 2011 6:07 pm

I should also clarify that I had astigmatism in both eyes – and that was corrected by the eye surgeon.

45. ari on November 28th, 2011 10:10 am

sounds like a benign floater. i would call the surgeon and ask if he should see you sooner.

46. Carol on December 2nd, 2011 1:19 am

I need to have a cataract removed from my left eye..not my dominant eye. In the past I have worn mono vision contacts. I hate wearing glasses. I have not been able to wear contacts for the last year due to inability to see with them. I do not know what option to take in replacing my lense. I was highly considering the mulitfocal iol until reading some of the comments. Now I am wondering if I should choose the monovision for close up vision and continue to wear the far away monovision contact in my right eye which is not surgical ready. Up in the air as to what to do.

47. ari on December 2nd, 2011 9:45 am

if you did monovision in the past, that’s the way to go for the implant.

48. Doug on January 4th, 2012 1:50 am

I am 43 and like most people on this Board, I have to decide if I should have monofocals or multifocals. I don’t mind wearing reading glasses at night when I read a book, but during the day I use the computer and I would hate to have to wear glasses all the time for work. Do monofocals work OK for computer reading?

Also- I am not sure I understand what people on this board mean when they say ‘close up monovision’ and ‘far away monovision’ – is this all monofocals?

I have astigmatism as well and have worn contacts since my teenage years.

Thanks!

Doug

49. ari on January 5th, 2012 9:19 am

monovision is having one eye focused at distance, and the other for near. it works quite well, and its free. sure- the monovision can give you vision at computer distance for one eye. the other eye will be blurred, and vice versa for distance. if you have astigmatism, i strongly advise the toric lens- most charge about $1000. also, if you have significant astigmatism, you are not a great candidate for the multifocal anyway

50. arun on January 5th, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi i am Arun from India Mumbai i developed cataract in both eyes at age of 35 it got very bad in left eye & had a sugery done with multifocal lens implant just one 1& half year back, my vision was restored in just a few days & there was no problems at all with vision for far near as well as reading fine prints are concerned apart from the regular problems of halos glares & contrast which at times are manageable & at times its not.
    Now i am facing a problem of floaters which really obstruct vision especially in sun & they are heaps of them i did consult my doc & he had a retina tear test done & sed it was all ok my question is are these floaters here to stay with me permanetly or will they fade out with time? I am also thinking of having this lens replaced is that a good choice as very soon i wud be having to do surgery for the right eye too so i want to go for monofucal whats the risk involved for taking out my first implant? Wil i go blind or blurness in vision?
    Will there be addition side effects to my 1st surgery?

51. ari on January 9th, 2012 10:09 am

floaters, especially after surgery, are normal as we get older and get slowly better over months/years. we dont treat them.
    why are you having your implant replaced?? you think it causes the floaters? the implant has nothing to do with floaters.

52. Jack on January 14th, 2012 6:02 pm

Aloha all.
    I’m going to have my first cataract removed in Feb and like a LOT of peeps I’m still debating whether to pay the extra $2,000+ per eye for multifocals.
    I’m pushing 73 but still active flying RC planes, deep sea fishing and need GOOD distance 3D vision.
    I also still work as a woodturning artist and close good vision SURE would be nice also.
    My surgeon normally uses Tecnis IOL’s.
    After a LOT of surfing the internet I’ve yet to see anyone saying how GREAT multifocals are.

53. ari on January 15th, 2012 12:03 pm

Multifocals may not be for you. they require a tolerance for some side effects and drawbacks. i think you would be better off with monovision if you are really motivated not to wear glasses. I’d advise to get a few different opinions.

54. Caroline on February 3rd, 2012 5:51 am

I had ReStor multifocal lens in right eye July 2011 and left eye November 2011. I
    have pain in the left eye with a blur in the middle. I will need 2.75 reading glasses,
    computer screen is fuzzy and so are words on the television at 10 feet away. I
    might as well get progressive lenses glasses. Not what I expected. Used to see halos at night around traffic signals but now I see a bunch of graduated circles and cars headlights are now huge starbursts.
    Hopefully, others have better results.

02-03-2012

55. Jodi on February 3rd, 2012 6:32 pm

I’m am 51 and scheduled for surgery on my right eye, w/ cataract (camera eye) I’m a photographer, on Feb. 21. then on my left eye, no cataract March 6. I am -5.75 in both eyes now wearing mulitfocal contacts. The halos and blurry lights are a bother to me with these contacts and I would rather not have to deal with that after my surgery. My question is, since I already wear the mulitfocal contacts, would I adjust to the monofocal implant lenses? Also, would the monofocal lens still cause the halos and light blurriness at night? Any other advice would be appreciated if
    needed.

56. Christine on February 7th, 2012 10:11 am

My right eye was corrected, with monofccal iol goal of intermediate vision, and the result came out distance. 20-25. My left eye, which is dominant will be done in next couple of monhts. I hate not being able to see the computer and things close to me such as peoples’s faces, my phone, those things within 3 feet. My left still has a little ability to see close, but it has a cataract and well there is blurriness.
    My qyestion is: Why does the dominant eye always have to have long distance vision ? Has any had their dominant eye corrected for near vision? Why couldn’t I get mutlifocal for left dominant eye?

My corrected right eye doen’t seem to have any problems, I already see much better in distance with both eyes.

I work as a dentist, and when I work I use Loupes and vision is good because of the magnification of 3X . It’s so frustrating to take off Loupes and notl being able to read the charts without glasses.

57. ari weitzner on February 8th, 2012 4:06 pm

there is no hard and fast rule. you could do near vision for the dominant eye if you wish. consider having the iol replaced in the right eye, or do lasik in that eye. a multifocal in only 1 eye is not typical, and you may not like it- the multifocals work best when done in both eyes, but some surgeons have had success with only 1 eye. consider crystalens in left eye- gives good intermediate vision.

58. Ed on February 19th, 2012 3:59 pm

I am 57 yr who has cataracts in both eyes. I use glasses for reading and computer but not for driving or TV. My vision for TV and driving is not as good as it used to be, but not enough for glasses. As I age, my visoin has slowly deteriorated so I expect that to continue. My Dr. recommended that I remove the cataracts and install crystalens.
    Are the benefits of crystalens worth the extra cost?
    I am avid tennis player so I want the best choce for that and I do not mind reading glasees, but the thought of no glasses really appeals to me.
    My sister-in-law had monovisons installed recently at Mass Eye and Ear and was told that the benefits of multifocal did not justify the cost so they stopped recommending them. Not sure whether to believe that.
    Any advice?

59. ari on February 20th, 2012 4:30 pm

monovision and crystalens both good options, but mono is free. crystalens not so great for reading- better for intermediate (like computer distance).

60. John on February 28th, 2012 11:50 am

I am 65 yrs old. I have significant near sightedness along with some astigmatism. My last visit to my optometrist indicated that I have a very slight cataract beginning in my left (dominant) eye. For most of my life I have worn eyeglasses. For the last (approximately) 20 years I have worn progressive lens eyeglasses for developing presbyopia. I can see pretty well with my eyeglasses but naturally I would like to both eliminate the chance of further development of cataracts and if possible, have excellent vision without eyeglasses. Let me qualify the eyeglass issue.

I am ok with eyeglasses for closeup work I think. I do a fair bit of computer work but because of my age I think that this will become less and less with time. In any event, I consider it to be no problem to have glasses sitting close to the computer – ready for use with the computer.

My value rankings for the various risk factor issues are:

I only want to do the surgery once. Surgery of any kind scares me, so I want to reduce the chance of the problem having to be revisited – to as close to zero as possible.

I value distance vision highest, along with excellent night vision. (I live at a latitude that has long winter nights, with driving necessary at times.

I think my values point me to monofocal lenses. Can these correct for astigmatism. Is the Toric lens simply monofocal with astigmatism correction?

Ari, you are a great resource. Thank you for your input.

61. Nancy on March 5th, 2012 1:08 pm

I am 67 and had perfect vision until my 40’s, at which time I added reading glasses. In my 50’s, I added computer glasses. Now my cataracts, both eyes, right eye dominant and worse, are causing glare and night driving issues, and reading glasses dont work, so i read everything on an ipad. One ophthalmologist is recommending Crystalens HD, another Tecnics, of course for a lot more money. I’m considering Crystalens, but wonder if I should just go with monofocals. I’m OK with reading glasses, but hate the glare. I’m also concerned with depth perception, as I have balance issues as well. I’m told I am a good candidate, no glaucoma or diabetes, very slight astigmatism. What do you think, Ari?

62. ari on March 5th, 2012 11:05 pm

if you are concerned about depth perception, then monovision may not be for you. crystalens has the fewest side effects like glare, but you may need to use reading glasses more than you might like.
    not sure why you have so much glare problems with reading glasses. i really dont think its the glasses- i think the glare is the cataract. good quality reading glasses should give you little glare trouble. so since you are ok with reading glasses, my feeling is go with regular implants.

63. Nancy on March 6th, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks Ari. The glare is there with and without glasses, it is the cataracts. So long as i wouldn’t need to wear glasses for intermediate vision, I think I’ll go with the regular implants. I just wouldn’t want to need glasses for other activities.

64. ari on March 7th, 2012 12:11 pm

ask the doctor to make you a litle near-sighted in one eye- like -1.25. it will give you good intermediate vision. i think you will be happy with that and with the overall vision

65. Dev on April 12th, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi,
    My Dad needs to get a surgery for cataract. I am doing my part of research to find the best lens available for it. Are there any one who is really very happy with multi–focal lens. Reading all about it, it seems to be that this is still not completely evolved and I should stick to mono focal lenses..
    Can someone suggest what are the different make available and which one is better… Something like if you need table you think of ipad, so if someone thinks for lens what should be there idle choice..
    Thanks in advance..
    Dev

66. Greg on April 30th, 2012 6:41 pm

Ari, I am really intrigued by your response above to Nancy…about asking her surgeon to make one eye a little nearsighted. This sounds like something I would like. If I could achieve good distant and intermediate vision with monofocal lenses…and then rely on reading glass for near vision, I think I would be a happy camper. Is what you suggested to Nancy true monovision…or more of a “compromise” somewhere between monovision and all distant (or all near). I hope that makes sense. I have some concerns about monovision and whether or not I could adjust…but your suggestion to Nancy sounds reasonable to me…and I want to find out if it would work for me.

67. ari on May 2nd, 2012 2:52 pm

we typically dont go for the full monovision- the asymmetry would be too much for most people. getting 1 eye to about -1.25 seems to be ideal monovision. good luck!

68. Tina on May 27th, 2012 10:08 pm

I am 50 and have cataracts in both eyes (left has more). I have worn glasses and contacts since I was 10. I am near sighted; -7.75 in my left and -7.50 in my right; I wear soft contacts the majority of the time. I work on the computer and have to wear reading glasses. I would like to be able to see without glasses even readers. Which would give me the better chance for that multi-focal or mono-focal with the least amount of side effects?

69. ari on June 5th, 2012 8:22 pm

monovision would give you least side effects, but vision may not be as good as the multifocal. its a hard call!

70. Mary C on July 5th, 2012 9:20 pm

I am 68 years old and need cataract surgery in both eyes. I am nearsighted since 4th grade, wore glasses and contacts, both hard and soft lenses, then permeable, then contacts with monovision. I now test -4.00 both eyes. I had lasix done about 10 years ago and was corrected to 20/20 vision. It was like a miracle. I could see close up and far. The last 5 years my nearsightedness came back. I can still see close up (love it) without glasses. Within the last 2 years, I went from -2.00 to -4.00, both eyes. I read a lot, am on the computer a lot, watch TV and, of course, drive. I have had halos around lights at night ever since the lasix, but have adjusted until recently when it got worse. My doctor has suggested Crystalens, but it is $2600 per eye. What to do?

71. Mary C on July 6th, 2012 2:49 pm

I have fine tuned my question to this. Should I get Mono-focal which Medicare covers or Crystalens? Most frequent activities include lots of reading, computer work, watching TV and I have to drive, too (and pass the driver’s test). What are most people happier with?

72. ari on July 7th, 2012 9:40 pm

not easy to get the right power of the crystalens implant, esp. after lasik– so good chance you will need touch-up with lasik after the crystalens to get 20/20. also, the accomodative ability of this lens can be unreliable. some swear by it, some dont. consider monovision, if cost is an issue.

73. Neha on August 3rd, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi, My mother has got cataract in both eyes with more snowy vision in the left eye. She is 61 yrs old and has been wearing glasses for more than 15 yrs both for distance and reading. She uses bifocal glasses at times and at times wears them separately as per her convenience. In all she owns 3 pair of glasses.
    Which lens she should go for – mono focal or mulltifocal or Crystalens? Is the extra money for crystal lens worth it? Please advise. She has not yet been tested for astigmatism or undergone any retina test.

74. ari on August 3rd, 2012 4:32 pm

depends on her motivation to be less dependent on glasses. crystalens can be unpredictable, and is better for intermediate vision. multifocal more predictable and better for near, but has some side effects. monovision is often a good compromise and has no extra cost. you really have to sit down with the surgeon and discuss all the options.

75. CM on August 21st, 2012 9:16 pm

Regarding Crystalens….
    I had my surgery in March 2012 for my right eye. I am one of those people who does not do well with this lens. I have been searching out more doctors to see if there is a solution for my problems. So far no answers. The problems are as many people have written. I have horrible night glare, halos, stars, and circles of light rushing at me when I drive past street lamps. It’s more noticeable at night due to the contrast of light and dark. Anytime there is a light source off to the side or top of the lens, it refracts and causes rays of light across my vision. I have asked the Dr to shine his little flashlight from the side of my face to prove to him it creates rays of light. Many times it’s like the prism effect, rainbow colors. He still has no solution. Needless to say, this is very, very depressing. So with this experience, I write to warn people to consider the mono lens and not the Crystalens.

76. Simran on August 22nd, 2012 12:46 am

Hi! I am 24 and had steriod induced cataracts in both the eyes. I have undergone surgery on 25th April 2012 and doctor has implanted multifocal restor lens in my right eye. After my surgery I have excellent distant vision, good near vision. But now I have joined my office after 15 days of rest, I am facing problem of darks spots around my eye while I am doing the computer work or sometimes I feel it in sunlight too. Now, I have to undergo left eye surgery on 31st August, after 1 month of previous surgery. Wanted to know would that dark spots reduce or it would increase. I dont have any problems with Halos while driving at night. But I think that gave me better vision.

Please tell me about this dark spots or blurry spots around my right eye?? and should I go ahead with the left eye surgery using multifocal lens or any other lens??

77. ari on August 22nd, 2012 2:03 pm

it may be related to the edge design of the implant. doing the other eye wont make a difference,. the restor works best when implanted in both eyes.

78. ari on August 22nd, 2012 2:06 pm

i dont understand your symptoms CM. it may be that the crytalens is de-centered? i have never heard of these symptoms in crystalens- only restor. i advise strongly a second opinion, as i suspect something else is going on.

79. CM on August 22nd, 2012 7:42 pm

Ari,
    I have seen 2 other doctors for second opinions and will see another one in Sept. They all say it looks perfect. The last one said the same thing; that these symptoms are usually with the Restor. I have hopes for the doc #3 as he told my friend he has heard of these problems. I’ll keep ya posted. Meanwhile, doc #2 is sending my reports to specialist in other states who deal with cataract surgery problems. I have not heard back from him.

I see your advise to not mix the Restor with another lens. What do you think about using a basic (mono) lens with the Crystalens? I still have to do the left eye at some point but I am afraid to use aonther Crystalens.

80. ari weitzner on August 23rd, 2012 8:14 am

considering your problems, i would go with standard iol for 2nd eye.

81. Simran on August 26th, 2012 11:34 pm

The main problem is that I had one eye operated and other eye is suffering still from cataract.. Sometimes I feel there are black spots in front of eye. But when I am comparing the vision of both the eyes it feels that my right eye (implanted with restor lens) doesnot have much problem and left eye can see more black dots in front of the eye. Can you please elaborate the reason behind this. My doctor is saying that your eye is 100% perfect. Is the reason is coz of left eye which is not yet operated as of now.

82. ari on August 28th, 2012 8:52 am

so…if the operated eye feels fine, and the symptoms are in the eye with cataract, and your eye doctor says nothing else is going on besides the cataract, what is the issue here?

83. Susan on September 18th, 2012 11:29 am

I’m due for cataract surgery and on a waiting list so it could be anytime soon. My concern (like several people here) is whether to go for Crystalens or mono focal lenses. My doctor suggests getting the Crystalens for both eyes as he says I’m still young (I’m 57 yrs. old) but I’m extremely myopic -10 and -11. What would you suggest I do? I’ve worn monofocal contact lenses since 16 and done very well with them. I’m ok with reading glasses but want to be able to watch TV and drive without issues during the day and night. My gut says to go with the standard monofocal lenses but am looking for some advice. My ophthalmologist cousin in India says not to go with the Crystalens since they lose their accommodating flexibility and hinging after some time. Is this true? She feels it’s simply a moneymaker.
    Thanks in advance.

84. Susan on September 18th, 2012 11:31 am

One more thing I wanted to mention is that I use an e-reader and can read without glasses with an increased font.

85. ari on September 19th, 2012 9:27 am

crystalens, when it works, will give you greater range, so you can have some intermediate vision as well as distance. but its not so predictable as restor. i am not aware of reduced effect over time.
    again, it all depends on how motivated you are not to wear reading glasses.

86. Susan on September 19th, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks for your response. Restor has not been offered to me as an option. I live in Canada – does that make a difference? I have only been told about Crystalens and was given a brochure to read about it. When you say that it would be a better option for me, does that mean that with monofocal lenses, I would have trouble seeing long distance? I certainly don’t want any dependency on glasses at all, if possible. However, I would prefer not to pay $3000.00 extra for both eyes, if possible.

87. ari on September 21st, 2012 10:11 am

monofocal simply means clarity at 1 distance- either near or far. all lenses give good far. the q is near. crystalens gives you some intermediate, but it can be unpredictable. it all depends on how motivated you are to be free of glasses.

88. CM on September 29th, 2012 10:11 pm

Susan,
    I would not reccomend the Crystalens. I have one in my right eye and I am on the verge of having it removed. It does not fit my eye and causes all sorts of star bursts and halos of light especally at night. I do feel that they do not give all 3 stages of vision (upclose – mid -distance). My vision has no up close which means I can’t see my face in the mirror or read a book. My mid and distance vision had gotten worse. All of this has been with in 6 months. It’s very upsetting to say the least. I would go with the standard lens.

89. CM on September 29th, 2012 10:15 pm

Ari,
    What do you know of the risks of removing the Crystalens and replacing it with a standard lens? It’s been 6 months and I want to have this done in the next month or two. I am very scared about it being worse. I have read that the sac could tear. Would this cause blindness?

90. ari on September 30th, 2012 1:56 pm

replacing an implant can be tricky and can tear the capsule due to adhesions between the capsule and implant, which can lead to blurred vision or difficulty placing a new implant. ask your surgeon if he has some experience with this, and if not, would he mind referring you to someone who does more of these kinds of cases to reduce your risk. its not a common operation, so it may be hard to find another surgeon in your area.

91. ari on September 30th, 2012 1:58 pm

as i mentioned before, im not sure why you are having so many side effects from the crystalens- unless the position of the implant is poor. ordinarily, one does not see these side effects from crystalens. the poor intermediate/near vision is a more common problem/complaint.

92. CM on October 3rd, 2012 3:39 pm

Ari,
    The position of the lens is correct. Four Dr.s have looked at it. The one who has done the most explants said that perhaps due to the square edge of the Crystalens, it catches the most light. I don’t know if my astigmatism has something to do with it or not. He wanted to correct this eye before putting a standard lens in my left eye but now after consulting with the other 2 docs it seems that they want me to do the left eye first to see how my brain sorts it all out. I really hope that I can handle a standard lens as I certainly do no want two bad eyes. I am waiting a call from him to see what changed his mind and to ask more questions.

Do you know how people fair with one standard and one Crystalens?

93. ari on October 4th, 2012 11:00 am

mixing implants typically not a problem, esp with crystalens.
    if then problem is the edge, you need to choose an implant with a difft edge design. the astig only causes blur- not halos/starburst/double/ghost vision.

i would go ahead with the second eye with a standard lens with difft edge design, (if you have astig, get toric lens) then see if you might be satisfied with that

94. George on October 4th, 2012 5:01 pm

My situation is a little unique. I am 40 years old and very mypoic (-17.5).
    About 3 years ago a had a retina detachment in my left eye which was repaired via laser and a schleral buckle.
    In my right eye I had laser to repair some minor tears.
    For the past year, i noticed my vision getting worse. After seeing my optometrist I was diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes. The left eye being more advanced than the right. My retina surgeon did warn me that this would happen.
    Now my optometrist has referred me back to my retina specialist to have the cataracts removed and have IOLs.
    I am uncertain as to what type of IOLs someone in my condition should proceed in regards to what type of lenses would be right for me.
    I trust my retina specialist who is well respected and a top doctor.
    I am willing to sacrifice wearing reading glasses for better distance and intermediate vision.
    I have been wearing high prescription glasses and contact lenses my entire life so wearing reading glasses would be a very small price to not have to wear what I have been since 4 years old.

95. ari on October 6th, 2012 8:55 pm

my feeling is that you would be happiest with regular implants, aiming for like -2.00 or so, which would give you comfortable reading vision w/o glasses, and at -2.00, your distance glasses would be normal thickness. if you are very motivated to reduce your reliance on glasses, make one eye plano and the other at -2.00. a very myopic eye that underwent laser/surgery is not the ideal eye for premium lenses.

96. George on October 8th, 2012 9:48 am

Tank you for the respons ari.
    By regular implants, do you mean monofocal?
    Your advice does seem sound and does confirm my research.
    Do you now if there is a cost associated with thes lenses in Canada.
    By “make one eye plano” do you mean correct it perfectly? I have not heard of that term before.
    Like I mentioned, wering light prescription glasses for reading and/or distance vision would not be too big of a deal considering how I have been seeing my entire life which has always been difficult. Soft contact lemses do not offer as clear as vision as hard lenses but I found hard lenses very irritating. Everything is a sacrifice I suppose.
    My optometrist does agree that they will most likely opt for regular implants. Regular implants is how he put it as well. Just wondering if that means Monofocal.
    He also assures me that despit needing reading glasses or distance glasses to compensate for any adjustments to my vision, that I will see better than ever befor, assuming all goes well of course.
    Would this be your opinion as well with people like myself.

Thank you once again for your feedback. I just want to be as informed as possible before desisions are made on my behalf and understamd what is being done.

97. ari on October 10th, 2012 9:13 am

yes- monofocal is regular
    yes- plano means zero prescription for distance
    as i said, considering how awful your prescription has been for most of your life (-17 is really, really bad), you will be ecstatic with regular (monofocal) implants with a prescription of -2.00, and you therefore dont need to spend money on premium lenses.
    good luck!

98. George on October 10th, 2012 9:58 am

Thanks again Ari,
    Very encoraging. I am actually looking forward to it.
    Would you happen to know the recovery time?
    I do computer work. Would I be able to start working in a couple of days?
    What would I need to keep in mind in regards to short term recovery and long term lifestyle?

99. ari on October 11th, 2012 11:02 am

recovery is very short- day or two. until the second eye is done, you will be in limbo with 2 very difft eyes, so it may be hard to do prolonged work. you cant hurt or strain the eyes, so feel free to go back to work asap.

100. George on October 11th, 2012 11:25 am

Than you for the info and advice.
    I very much appreciate your responses and clarification to my questions.
    I feel much more informed now.

If I can trouble you with one more question.
    As I have some astigmatism as well. Would it be advisable or a good option to have a toric IOL.
    My understanding is that a toric lense is a monofocal lense that corrects astigmatism as well.

Would this be riskier? Would it be preferable to allow glasses to do the correction, the IOLs or laser?

101. pauline andrews on October 11th, 2012 6:12 pm

I am 66 years old and facing cataract surgery in right eye. Have cataract starting in left eye. I wear a contact in right eye and reading glasses with computer and for some fine print. Vision good enough in left eye for distance. I often go without contact at home and can see well enough to drive without during the day ( can read license plates and street signs well). Would not pass the eye exam for driving in right eye without contact. I was going with restore multi-vision but am concerned about halo affect and depth perception. I wore multi-level contacts for a few years but got tired of the halo affect and lack of precise vision at all levels. I would take them out at night and wear glasses. I also wore mono vision contacts for years with good results. Any thoughts on best way to go.

102. ari on October 15th, 2012 9:58 am

toric is risk-free and i strongly recommend. otherwise, you will need glasses to correct the astigmatism to see better. makes more sens to implant the astigmatic correction in your eye instead of wearing it on your nose.

103. George on October 16th, 2012 9:08 am

Thanks again,
    I will be seeing my surgeon tomorow and I feel more prepared to understand my options thanks to your advice. My hope is that this will be done ASAP as tasks are becoming increasingly more difficult.

104. DO on November 4th, 2012 8:32 pm

I am 50 years old and had a vitrectomy for floaters in my right eye which quickly worsened what was probably a small cateract. My eyes are otherwise healthy. I am considering the Nanoflex IOL but was wondering if it would even accommodate for me since I don’t have any vitreous. Have you seen any research about the Nanoflex’s effectiveness in vitrectomized eyes?

I would like to try a blended vision approach and have read that the Nanoflex works well since the Collamer material it’s made of is more flexible that acrylic and provides for a greater range of vision. My left eye is -1.25 with .33 astigmatism and my right eye prior to developing the cateract was -2.75 with .55 astigmatism. I was thinking of targeting plano or slight myopia with the IOL correction in my right eye and using my left eye as is for computer/reading. I would then get an IOL with -1.25 when I need to have the left eye cateract addressed.

I guess my natural eyesight was like mini-monovision for near/intermediate as I could work at my computer and desk without wearing my progressive glasses, which have a 2.25 add. I find working with glasses very annoying, so do you think it would be advisable to keep my right eye more myopic like it was rather than correcting for distance? Or do you think having plano in the right and -1.25 will work for me at the laptop? I spend probably 10 hours at the day at the computer and reading for my job, which entails a lot of graphic design work and proofreading.

One surgeon I visited recommended the Tecnis ZCBOO set for distance correction and use my left eye as is. He thinks I can work at the computer all day with this approach, but I am concerned that after I set my left eye IOL at -1.25 that I will have little accommodation with a Tecnis ZCBOO and will be stuck using readers. That’s why I’d like to investigate the Nanoflex because it seems to flex for some pseudoaccommodation.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

105. Mary Currie on November 5th, 2012 9:51 pm

I had lasik which was great, but fast growing cataracts have now made me near sighted again. I wear glasses for distance and can see fine up close. I am having my left eye done this week, followed by the right eye the following week. There are a lot of people on this blog who aren’t happy with the Crystalens. My opthamologist is highly recommending it for me. I wonder what the stats are on people who do like it. My question is ……Is Crystalens a good choice after lasik? I had a special measurement test by a lasik opthamologist surgeon as a pre op and that test showed astigmatism that doesn’t show up on normal refraction tests for glasses. In other words my glasses don’t correct for astigmatism and only this one test shows it may be an issue following the cataract surgery. I guess the astigmatism found on that test is related to reshaping the cornea in lasik surgery. My doctor did not recommend the toric. He thinks Crystalens is the best option (rather than the standard) with follow-up with the lasik doctor, if needed. It is all very anxiety provoking. My neighbor had Crystalens in both eyes and loves her outcome.

106. ari on November 7th, 2012 10:19 am

whether crystalens is good or not is unrelated to the lasik.
    crystalens can be unpredictable in its ability to give you god reading vision.
    if you have astigmatism, and its not corrected, your success with crystalens will be less. some astigmatism can be irregular after lasik and may be hard to correct.
    implanting the correct implant after lasik can be tricky. i strongly suggest a second opinion from someone who has a lot of experience in these matters.

107. Delores Ann on November 8th, 2012 6:02 pm

I have AGONIZED over which lens to choose and have rescheduled my surgery three times due to indecision. My surgeon has been available for discussion, and I have done my research. I have decided to go with the Nanoflex monofocal; I have tried monovision with contacts and didn’t like it. My question: are there any folks out there who have the Nanoflex and would be willing to share their experience?

108. Susan on December 23rd, 2012 1:28 am

I’m nearsighted (3.5 range). Discovered have cataracts – right eye, dominate, is worst. Doing contact lens experiment for monovision. Does this “partial blurriness” sensation go away after some period? I hate the feeling and prospect of always having blurriness wether looking near or far – nauseating. I also hate the thought of loosing all nearsightedness. I work on a computer 10 hrs a day at least. Read about nanoflex and they sound like my choice if I do the monovision option. Ari you spoke about making the nearvision eye slightly nearsighted which might work…. what about the problem of developing problem like “lazy eye”…. am also considering multifocal one with intermediate other with nearvision… would that work? I’d really like the sharpest, daylight contrast, no glasses option. This is just really hard to sort out.

109. Joe on January 15th, 2013 9:46 pm

I didn’t like full monovision when I tried them with contacts a number of years ago but my doc is suggesting mini-monovision with a Tecnis one piece monofocul iol. The ZCBOO. He’s talking about plano or -.025 in dominant eye and -.050 or -.075 in the non-dominant eye. He says that it will hardly notice it and that it will not interfere with depth perception which is important to me. I’m considering this or the Tecnis one piece multi focal iol. ZMBOO. Cost is not an issue in my decision. Will I notice the mini-monovision? Will it effect depth perception?

Regards,
    Joe

110. Debra Ann on January 25th, 2013 12:34 am

I had the Restor multifocal lenses put in November 2011. At first things seemed to go well, distance in right eye was perfect. Then I had my first vitreous detachment and a month later the second. The left eye was quite impaired by this web like floater. Was not informed since I was so near-sighted that this would definitely happened. By the way I did not have cataracts my specialist informed me that my vision could no longer be corrected by glasses, I now doubt this statement. 8 months later I could no longer see to drive the contrast sensitivity was so bad. The glare and reflections were unbareable in the sunlight and yet in the dark I was completely impaired. I had YAG surgery but I still had one removed 2 weeks ago thank god I had an excellent retinal specialist do this procedure. I had to have a vitrecomy as well and then had a Alcon monofocal placed in the sulcus. I could not see clearly for close to a week but the difference was immediate it was like a shroud was lifted off and I had my eyesight back. I will have to wear glasses but who cares. Will have the right eye done in about a month, can’t wait! Multifocals suck!!!! Do not risk them.

111. ari on January 27th, 2013 5:53 pm

these multifocals definitely have drawbacks and one has to be very motivated to not wear glasses to make them worthwhile. vitreous detachments are normal and happen to everyone sooner or later

112. Mary Currie on January 29th, 2013 2:33 pm

I had the cataract surgery with Crystalens implanted in both eyes in November 2012. The biggest difference is how bright the world is. Colors are vivid and beautiful. My far vision is great. No glasses for driving, TV or walking around. I need readers for computer and reading. I am using 2.00 or 1.50 readers. I practiced reading without readers like the doctor suggested, but it doesn’t help. I can’t see the words at all and they don’t get clearer. I get a headache on the computer without readers. I can’t see my Ipad or very fine print even with readers. I go to the doctor on Thursday and will ask him if prescription reader glasses can correct for astigmatism so I can see the Ipad. I am grateful that the surgery went well and I can see distance. I don’t mind readers if I can find a solution for seeing my Ipad and very fine print. It seems like the standard lens would given me the results I have without the expense.

113. ari on January 31st, 2013 1:56 pm

yes- sounds like you got very little “bang for the buck”, and that your crystalens is acting like a regular lens. thats the risk with this lens- the near vision benefit can be very modest at times.

114. Janet on February 13th, 2013 11:58 am

Feb.4 ,I had cataract removed and monofocal lens put in now I can not see to apply makeup how do I fix this and what kind of lens should I put in my right eye now. I need enough closeup vision to apply eye makeup.

115. ari on February 16th, 2013 9:33 pm

too late. you need to wear reading glasses when you do anything close up, whether its reading or makeup. no big deal.

116. Trish on February 17th, 2013 1:53 am

Hi
    I am 66, diabetic (dx 8mos ago) now in control with oral meds—but have retinopathy & DME (being treated with lucentis and lasars since Nov./12) and glaucoma treated with Azopt gtts (Pr.17 bilaterally from 20) also have bilat. cataracrs. Present Rx is -4.50 and -4.75 ( which is 3 yrs old and not adequate right now). I realize that multifocal lenses are out of the question but I wonder if anyone could suggest an appropriate adjustment to monocular lenses which would allow me to read, do computer work , paint (art) and still be able to see license plates and road signs well. I have been near sighted since high school but able to read well without glasses until a few days after I was Dx’d and 2 days after I was started on statins and other meds. Vision is now improving with treatments Also would like to know at what point in the rest of my treatment is it okay to do the cataracts ( I am on the waiting list for sometime in the fall)>

117. Wendy on February 24th, 2013 9:22 am

I am 45 and have a cogenital hearing impairment (severe). Have worn hearing aids all my life–I lip read extensively at all distances. I do lots of computer work, reading, photography and play tennis.
    Have had glasses or contacts since high school; now wearing progressives (OD -2.25, -.5 Cyl, Axis 10; OS -2.75, -1.25 cyl, Axis 10 + ADD 2.0 in Axis) which give best vision of 20/30 OD and 20/25 OS. Last July, posterior subcapsular cataracts OU were diagnosed in both eyes and right eye (dominant) is worse. Have consulted 3 doctors in the DC area — am being a nervous nellie as I really need clear vision to lipread at various distances. Have slight astigmatism in both eyes.
    Surgery for right eye is scheduled for Mar 27th — and Crystalens was selected and I’ll need to sign a consent for LeSx Femtosecond for astigmatic reduction surgery at the same time.
    I have been reading this blog and others and having second throughts about Cyrstalens — as I age my hearing impairment will worsen and my eyes are most precious. I don’t mind wearing reading glasses. What would be best for someone in my situation? Monofocal, or some other multifocal lens? Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

118. Lt Col G R Rajendren (Ret), Indian Army on February 27th, 2013 2:00 pm

I had been wearing glasses since 16 for mild Myopia in both the eyes (- 1.5 ) – needing correction for distant vision. Did not feel uncomfortable in the active 30 odd years in the army.

I am 68 now and need cataract surgery in the dominant left eye. I searched for the best option hi and low and wide, researched the web. I find that for people like me, the best option is the “Standard” lens. It is simple,time tested, and highly accommodating with little side effects and of course – free of cost if you are insured.

This conclusion is also supported by our family doctor Dr M.S. Srinivasan who is one of the highly experienced Cornea Surgeons anywhere ( from Aravind Eye Care System, Madurai, South India (they do maximum number of eye surgeries in the world).

I always wanted to have vision without glasses but after this research, I am ready to compromise with Standard lens. I want to tell everyone this – I had done lot of adventurous activities in the army – including Riding, Skiing, Sky Diving etc with glasses and it is okay – no discomfort at all. I respect the opinions and choices of all of you but consider the simple thing first.

I am going is for surgery next week. Will share my experience in this Forum later.

119. ari on February 27th, 2013 4:57 pm

again- crystalens, unlike restor, has no side effects, so why not try it. it may give you decent computer vision. for sure, taking care of the astigmatism is a good idea and will give you better vision.

120. Cindi on March 22nd, 2013 11:53 pm

I’ve had repeated bouts of posterior and intermediate uveitis. I was alerted to the first one almost three years ago by the epiretinal membrane that formed over the center of my visual field. They treated me early and I didn’t lose any vision, I stayed 20/15 in both eyes. I had PVD’s in both eyes with a huge amount of stringy debris. Repeated flares clouded my vitreous. The ERM got worse and began to distort my fovea. I had a vitrectomy and membrane peel on the right eye last summer. I read the 20/20 line the next day, but a few months later the post-surgical cataract began to develop. My myopia has gotten much worse. I wear multifocal RGP contract lenses, which deliver very good vision. My doctors are all opposed to putting a multifocal IOL into my vitrectomized eye. My question is – Why can’t I have a monofocal IOL for distance and wear a RGP multifocal contact lens for close and intermediate vision? I’ve been told that doesn’t work, but I can’t understand why not. My distance would be corrected. I’d be using the multifocal contact in place of reading glasses. Why not?

121. A.Nassar on April 4th, 2013 12:31 pm

I am a 58 years old nearsighted person with -9 for the right eye and -8 for the left one. A cataract have been developing in my right eye since more than one and half year and now started to interferes with my daily life activities specially night driving. Today I visited my eye Dr. Specialist who suggested to have the cataract surgery and to implant a mono-focal IOL for both eyes and he mentioned that a multi-focal lens is not suitable for me and he mentioned that I have to have an eye glasses for readings but he mentioned that even with the eye glasses I have to expect a difficulty in reading and see things clearly in short distance. Can any one of the forum participants comment and suggest better alternatives.

122. ari on April 4th, 2013 9:41 pm

if you are not a good candidate for multifocal, you should thank him for being so honest.
    either get corrected for distance, for reading, or do monovision- 1 eye for each. if your eyes are otherwise healthy, you shoud see very well either with or without glasses, depending on what prescription you choose.

123. Ling on April 10th, 2013 6:03 am

My story is different from any one of above. I am 62 years old. I had retinal detachment surgery for my left eye in Jan. 2012. I am nearsighted and both eyes used to be around -5.0. After the surgery, however, the left eye’s vision became -9.0. My optometrist couldn’t correct it to 20/20 which is what I could see before the surgery. I visited the retinal surgeon two months later and he told me the left eye got cataract caused by the retinal surgery and he suggested me to see a specialist for the cataract. In May 2012, I got cataract surgery and a mono focal IOL was implanted in my left eye. The doctor didn’t want to give me multi focal lens because I have retinal detachment history. My left eye was corrected to -2.0, he said that will help me for reading purpose. He gave me soft contacts to try for my right eye. In August 2012, he did YAG on my left eye to eliminate star bursts. That worked pretty well, the eye can immediately see much clearer and star bursts are totally gone. He told me to get new prescription from my optometrist. He asked me to see him in 6 months if in case my both eyes cannot get balanced with new prescription. Both my optometrist and I found it is very difficult to make my eyes work together, since each eye has different vision (-2.0 vs. -5.25), both eyes have astigmatism(not significant), byopia and prism. After trying all options and combinations, finally I use a hybrid contact lens for my right eye alone, that is something like monovision people talked about in here, however, I never feel comfortable with it because there is always some blurriness whether looking near or far.
    In Feb. 2013, I visited the doctor who did cataract surgery for me last year, he recommended to have cataract surgery on my right eye even thou the cataract in right eye is very little but he said because both eyes cannot work together and get balanced, I’m eligible for the surgery and the insurance will cover it. At this time he still doesn’t want to give me multifocal lens. He said multifocal lens for one eye may even cause more problems.
    I then went to another doctor for second opinion. My both eyes were dilated in that doctor’s office. In the evening of that day, I felt severe pain around my left eye and gradually the left eye lost vision. I called the doctor and he wanted to see him immediately. We met in his office and he found that the IOL in the left eye shifted forward to in the front of the eye, the lens blocked the way the eye fluid goes, that caused very high eye pressure (60, the normal is 8-16), it’s just like glaucoma, and he said if it is not fixed immediately the entire vision of the left eye could be permanently lost next day. So he used laser to punch 4 holes in my eye to reduce the pressure. In about 30 minutes, the pressure was down to 40, the pain was reduced and the vision came back. He told me that because my capsule was broken, it cannot hold the IOL properly, when the eye is dilated, it gives the lens a chance to move forward. That was Friday night, so he told me to see him Monday morning, he would try to make the lens go back to right position. What he did in Monday morning is to let me lie down and dilate the left eye trying to let lens go back, it never worked, even worse, the lens flipped upside down. It seems surgery will be the only choice to fix the problem. He referred me to a retinal surgeon for the surgery. The surgery is scheduled to be done on 4/12/2013. The surgeon said the first option is to flip the lens and put it back to posterior chamber where the IOL used to be. If it’s not successful, the second choice is to replace the lens, but the new lens will be put in anterior chamber (the new lens is specially designed for this purpose).
    After the horrible experience above, I’m so worried about the outcome of the coming surgery. I’m very angry for the surgeon who did cataract surgery on my left eye, though non of the doctors wanted to tell me the truth why or who broke my left eye capsule, I’m sure he did.
    Mr. Ari, have you ever heard anything like this? If the outcome is good for the left eye surgery this time, what type of IOL you will suggest for my right eye in future? I appreciate your opinion.

124. ari on April 10th, 2013 8:24 pm

every surgeon can break a capsule. every one. even me. it happens even to the best of surgeons sometimes. luckily its not common at all, especially for experienced surgeons. compromised eyes- like retinal detachment- are more prone to this complication. but if handled well, it often leads to no problems for the patient. breaking capsule is NOT malpractice.

if the implant dislocated and caused an acute glaucoma, that is suspicious for an implant that was not implanted correctly. that never happens if the implant is in the correct position. so i suspect that the surgeon broke the capsule and the implant was not implanted correctly, or somehow the implant dislocated right after the surgery was over. of course, its hard for me to know for sure w/o examining you, but that is my suspicion.

the possibility of this happening to the other eye is almost zero. this is an extraordinarily rare complication. so i would proceed with a regular implant in the right eye and go for like a -2.00 or -3.

125. Colleen on July 12th, 2013 5:02 pm

I am more confused than before now. I am 46 and am a RN that works midnights at this time. I was dx with having cataracts due to steroids I was taking for PCOS. My Dr. is recommending crystalens implants for me but, I am worried about what my vision will be after. I am having the left eye done first because the cataract and vision are much worse than the right. I also have astigmatism in the right eye so am worried that the crystalens wont be right for the right eye. Please help any advice would be greatly appreciated.

126. Dr. Ari Weitzner on July 14th, 2013 12:41 am

crystalens wont work well with astigmatism, unless you are getting the new toric crystalens, or the surgeon is doing lri’s for the astigmatism.

127. Karen on November 19th, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi. I was just diagnosed with posterior capsule cataracts (although have never taken steroids or have eye trauma Hx) and am 39 years old. I have poor distance vision (approx -2.75 to -3.0). Left eye has small astigmatism right eye has no – slight astigmatism. There is a trace of PSC in the left eye and a level 2 in the right eye. Right eye corrected vision cannot get better than 20/30 currently. Reading vision is/was perfect (right is becoming degraded due to cataract). My career requires lots of screen time and some reading. Dr. has recommended crystalens, but we are monitoring it over the next 6 months to see if it worsens.

I am wondering if this is a bad recommendation given the report that crystalens cannot correct astigmatism. Should I wait as long as I can to have lens replacement given my age? Any thoughts on possible/best course of action would be appreciated! Thank you.

128. Sandy on December 3rd, 2013 12:36 am

Hi Dr. Weitzner!

I am 53 years old and just had cataract surgery on my left eye two weeks ago. The cataract had become severe. I have a cataract in my right eye and have been given a -2.25 disposable contact to wear in it until my surgery.

Before I went in to have my left eye corrected, I explained to my doctor that I have been near-sighted my entire life. I work with animals and I am an artist. In my free time I love to read, cook and work on the computer. In short, everything I love and indeed my very livelihood require excellent vision up close. I do not mind wearing glasses for far, but I do not want to spend all day wearing them. I have no interest in multifocal lenses as I was happy with my vision before the cataracts. After I explained this to my doctor during the consultation, I asked if I could bring in my glasses from about 13 years ago and have my eyes adjusted to wear that same prescription and she said I could.

During the pre op visit. I brought the glasses. Her tech took them and made note of the prescription. A little later my surgeon entered the room and said, “We’re going to adjust your vision for far…” Before she could finish I said, “But doctor, I need to be nearsighted.” She looked surprised and said, “Oh, so you want your vision to be here?” And she motioned with her hand stretched out in front of her. I repeated that I wanted to be able to wear my old prescription so that I could work well up close and just use the glasses for driving and going to movies. She made a note and told the tech to adjust me for…And I could not hear the rest. I had the feeling that she did not remember our conversation about how important near vision is to me.

I want to say that this is a surgeon who is very experienced and has been @ the same hospital since 1980. I respect her. And I am so grateful that when the bandages came off I could see. During my post op visit, I could read the 20/20 line on the chart. Her tech told me that the doctor had adjusted me to 20/30 because I wanted to be able to see close up…but here’s the thing…I can’t.

When I put my old glasses on I can see far off just like I did before. Without my glasses I can work @ the computer and cook, but when I am @ my job working w/ animals, when I have to pull one up close, it is out of focus. When I read I have to hold my book @ arm’s length and in the grocery store I have to hold everything far away from my face to focus on it with the left eye. The hardest thing is when I sit @ my desk to draw or paint. I am not able to do detail work with any precision. I close the right eye (the one that still has a cataract) and try to focus @ arm’s length. Then I close my left eye and move in very close w/ the right eye which has a contact on it. I am able to compensate this way. However, I need a solution that is better than this. I plan on creating art for the rest of my life and I can not afford (nor would I ever want to) injure an animal.

So here’s my question: What type of adjustment should be made on the right eye to get me where I need to be and how do I communicate that to the surgeon?

I look forward to your response. Thank you!

My next appointment with my doctor is in two days. What do you suggest that I

129. Sandy on December 4th, 2013 8:24 pm

Update:

Yesterday, I sat down in my studio and found that detail work was much easier than last week.

Today I went in for my 2 week exam and when I looked @ the eye chart found that my vision has changed substantially. My doctor says that my left eye is @ -2.00. Is that 20/40 vision?

I am happy that I can see to do detail work close up and @ arm’s length, but am wondering if my vision will keep changing? My original prescription glasses that I brought to my pre op visit back on October 28th are -1.50 in the left and -1.25 in the right. Should I get a second opinion before going forward w/ cataract surgery in my right eye or are these kinds of experiences normal? I was happy several years ago with -1.50 in the left and -1.25 in the right.

130. ari on December 8th, 2013 7:35 pm

karen- the crystalens now corrects astigmatism. remember that crystalens is best for intermediate vision, not closer reading vision.
    the timng is based purely on your desire to fix the vision. you dont have to wait

131. ari on December 8th, 2013 7:38 pm

if you were happy with -1.25 before the cataract, then i would simply aim for that, but that prescription is better for arms length vision. not closer vision. there is no need for a second opinion- small changes in the prescription can occur as the lens settles in.

132. norma mclaughlin on January 13th, 2014 8:24 pm

I had a Restor lens explanted, and it was discovered in the explanting of this lens, that the Restor was not properly anchored in my eye. There were missing zonule fibres. Whether they were already missing or went missing during the surgery, I have not idea, but the doctor never put a tension ring in to secure the Restor lens. Is this something the surgeon may not have seen? I could not see properly with this lens and perhaps it was because it was loose in my eye. Please may I see a response.

133. Karen on January 26th, 2014 5:54 pm

Thank you for the reply Dr. Weitzner.

Do you agree with the opinion that crystalens must be implanted in both eyes (within 2 weeks) due to visual imbalance that can result with one natural uncorrected eye and one artificial lens?

134. ari on January 26th, 2014 9:16 pm

implanting both eyes is more critical with restor lens, as there is a brain adaption issue. there is no grain adaption with crystalens, so implant the other eye as early or late as you like.

135. Sandy on February 11th, 2014 11:32 pm

One last question. I am scheduled to have surgery on my right eye in March. My left eye is still sometimes blurry. (I had surgery on it back in November). How long does it generally take for the eye to see clearly? I have heard that it can take 6 – 12 weeks. Can it take longer? Thank you, Dr. Weitzner.

136. ari on February 13th, 2014 1:02 pm

in routine surgery, vision should be clear in days. if surgery is long and difficult, it may take weeks. if you are still blurred, you need to have it checked out and get an explanation

137. Nelson on March 5th, 2014 10:33 pm

Low, Moderate, High Astigmatism. What are the guidelines? Glare and Starbursts are becoming more noticeable because of my cataracts. 74 y/o male.
    I’m thinking that the Crystalens and the toric version, Trulign, would give me the kind of vision I want.
    My last exam, and pretty much all my eye prescriptions for the last 10 years or so, show me farsighted +2.50 and +2.75 Spherical Diopters and -1.25 and -1.00 Cylinder for astigmatism.
    Would Toric Lenses be preferred? Should I be looking at mini-mono/blended vision?

138. ari on March 6th, 2014 10:31 am

always always always get the implant that corrects astigmatism. why put in an implant, then wear the astigmatism on your nose, when you could’ve corrected it in the implant in your eye? its a no-brainer.
    the only question is whether to get the crystalens (trulign) or regular implant for astigmatism. the trulign’s ability to give you reading vision is not great. its best for intermediate vision, and even then it can be somewhat unreliable. monovision is not a bad idea, and most like it, but some patients hate it. but its cheaper than trulign.