Crystalens or Restor as a Multifocal IOL After Cataract Surgery?

April 1, 2010

I am 40 yrs old and in need of cataract surgery. I have taken prednisone and inhaled steroids for asthma, which may have contributed to the formation of cataracts.

I knew nothing of monofocal or multifocal IOL’s when I started to suffer degraded vision in my left eye. I received opinions from 2 optometrists. One was for Restor and one for Crystalens. It may have just been the $3000 extra per eye over a monofocal IOL, but my initial impression was that the multifocal lenses were some sort of shady up-sell.

Now after thinking about it, I really do not want to have to rely on 2-3 pair of glasses and feel the extra $$$ might be worth it. I have worn glasses or contacts since grade school and am a pretty active guy. I set my mind on getting a multifocal lense after my second opinion (better bedside manner). This second optometrist recommended Restor, while the first optometrist had recommended Crystalens.

I am all bet set to get this done next month, but I am second guessing now. Can you recommend some impartial reading on the subject? My right eye is supposedly about a year behind in needing surgery.

Comments

138 Responses to “Crystalens or Restor as a Multifocal IOL After Cataract Surgery?”

1. pauline andrews on October 11th, 2012 6:12 pm

I am 66 years old and facing cataract surgery in right eye. Have cataract starting in left eye. I wear a contact in right eye and reading glasses with computer and for some fine print. Vision good enough in left eye for distance. I often go without contact at home and can see well enough to drive without during the day ( can read license plates and street signs well). Would not pass the eye exam for driving in right eye without contact. I was going with restore multi-vision but am concerned about halo affect and depth perception. I wore multi-level contacts for a few years but got tired of the halo affect and lack of precise vision at all levels. I would take them out at night and wear glasses. I also wore mono vision contacts for years with good results. Any thoughts on best way to go.

2. ari on October 15th, 2012 9:58 am

toric is risk-free and i strongly recommend. otherwise, you will need glasses to correct the astigmatism to see better. makes more sens to implant the astigmatic correction in your eye instead of wearing it on your nose.

3. George on October 16th, 2012 9:08 am

Thanks again,
    I will be seeing my surgeon tomorow and I feel more prepared to understand my options thanks to your advice. My hope is that this will be done ASAP as tasks are becoming increasingly more difficult.

4. DO on November 4th, 2012 8:32 pm

I am 50 years old and had a vitrectomy for floaters in my right eye which quickly worsened what was probably a small cateract. My eyes are otherwise healthy. I am considering the Nanoflex IOL but was wondering if it would even accommodate for me since I don’t have any vitreous. Have you seen any research about the Nanoflex’s effectiveness in vitrectomized eyes?

I would like to try a blended vision approach and have read that the Nanoflex works well since the Collamer material it’s made of is more flexible that acrylic and provides for a greater range of vision. My left eye is -1.25 with .33 astigmatism and my right eye prior to developing the cateract was -2.75 with .55 astigmatism. I was thinking of targeting plano or slight myopia with the IOL correction in my right eye and using my left eye as is for computer/reading. I would then get an IOL with -1.25 when I need to have the left eye cateract addressed.

I guess my natural eyesight was like mini-monovision for near/intermediate as I could work at my computer and desk without wearing my progressive glasses, which have a 2.25 add. I find working with glasses very annoying, so do you think it would be advisable to keep my right eye more myopic like it was rather than correcting for distance? Or do you think having plano in the right and -1.25 will work for me at the laptop? I spend probably 10 hours at the day at the computer and reading for my job, which entails a lot of graphic design work and proofreading.

One surgeon I visited recommended the Tecnis ZCBOO set for distance correction and use my left eye as is. He thinks I can work at the computer all day with this approach, but I am concerned that after I set my left eye IOL at -1.25 that I will have little accommodation with a Tecnis ZCBOO and will be stuck using readers. That’s why I’d like to investigate the Nanoflex because it seems to flex for some pseudoaccommodation.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

5. Mary Currie on November 5th, 2012 9:51 pm

I had lasik which was great, but fast growing cataracts have now made me near sighted again. I wear glasses for distance and can see fine up close. I am having my left eye done this week, followed by the right eye the following week. There are a lot of people on this blog who aren’t happy with the Crystalens. My opthamologist is highly recommending it for me. I wonder what the stats are on people who do like it. My question is ……Is Crystalens a good choice after lasik? I had a special measurement test by a lasik opthamologist surgeon as a pre op and that test showed astigmatism that doesn’t show up on normal refraction tests for glasses. In other words my glasses don’t correct for astigmatism and only this one test shows it may be an issue following the cataract surgery. I guess the astigmatism found on that test is related to reshaping the cornea in lasik surgery. My doctor did not recommend the toric. He thinks Crystalens is the best option (rather than the standard) with follow-up with the lasik doctor, if needed. It is all very anxiety provoking. My neighbor had Crystalens in both eyes and loves her outcome.

6. ari on November 7th, 2012 10:19 am

whether crystalens is good or not is unrelated to the lasik.
    crystalens can be unpredictable in its ability to give you god reading vision.
    if you have astigmatism, and its not corrected, your success with crystalens will be less. some astigmatism can be irregular after lasik and may be hard to correct.
    implanting the correct implant after lasik can be tricky. i strongly suggest a second opinion from someone who has a lot of experience in these matters.

7. Delores Ann on November 8th, 2012 6:02 pm

I have AGONIZED over which lens to choose and have rescheduled my surgery three times due to indecision. My surgeon has been available for discussion, and I have done my research. I have decided to go with the Nanoflex monofocal; I have tried monovision with contacts and didn’t like it. My question: are there any folks out there who have the Nanoflex and would be willing to share their experience?

8. Susan on December 23rd, 2012 1:28 am

I’m nearsighted (3.5 range). Discovered have cataracts – right eye, dominate, is worst. Doing contact lens experiment for monovision. Does this “partial blurriness” sensation go away after some period? I hate the feeling and prospect of always having blurriness wether looking near or far – nauseating. I also hate the thought of loosing all nearsightedness. I work on a computer 10 hrs a day at least. Read about nanoflex and they sound like my choice if I do the monovision option. Ari you spoke about making the nearvision eye slightly nearsighted which might work…. what about the problem of developing problem like “lazy eye”…. am also considering multifocal one with intermediate other with nearvision… would that work? I’d really like the sharpest, daylight contrast, no glasses option. This is just really hard to sort out.

9. Joe on January 15th, 2013 9:46 pm

I didn’t like full monovision when I tried them with contacts a number of years ago but my doc is suggesting mini-monovision with a Tecnis one piece monofocul iol. The ZCBOO. He’s talking about plano or -.025 in dominant eye and -.050 or -.075 in the non-dominant eye. He says that it will hardly notice it and that it will not interfere with depth perception which is important to me. I’m considering this or the Tecnis one piece multi focal iol. ZMBOO. Cost is not an issue in my decision. Will I notice the mini-monovision? Will it effect depth perception?

Regards,
    Joe

10. Debra Ann on January 25th, 2013 12:34 am

I had the Restor multifocal lenses put in November 2011. At first things seemed to go well, distance in right eye was perfect. Then I had my first vitreous detachment and a month later the second. The left eye was quite impaired by this web like floater. Was not informed since I was so near-sighted that this would definitely happened. By the way I did not have cataracts my specialist informed me that my vision could no longer be corrected by glasses, I now doubt this statement. 8 months later I could no longer see to drive the contrast sensitivity was so bad. The glare and reflections were unbareable in the sunlight and yet in the dark I was completely impaired. I had YAG surgery but I still had one removed 2 weeks ago thank god I had an excellent retinal specialist do this procedure. I had to have a vitrecomy as well and then had a Alcon monofocal placed in the sulcus. I could not see clearly for close to a week but the difference was immediate it was like a shroud was lifted off and I had my eyesight back. I will have to wear glasses but who cares. Will have the right eye done in about a month, can’t wait! Multifocals suck!!!! Do not risk them.

11. ari on January 27th, 2013 5:53 pm

these multifocals definitely have drawbacks and one has to be very motivated to not wear glasses to make them worthwhile. vitreous detachments are normal and happen to everyone sooner or later

12. Mary Currie on January 29th, 2013 2:33 pm

I had the cataract surgery with Crystalens implanted in both eyes in November 2012. The biggest difference is how bright the world is. Colors are vivid and beautiful. My far vision is great. No glasses for driving, TV or walking around. I need readers for computer and reading. I am using 2.00 or 1.50 readers. I practiced reading without readers like the doctor suggested, but it doesn’t help. I can’t see the words at all and they don’t get clearer. I get a headache on the computer without readers. I can’t see my Ipad or very fine print even with readers. I go to the doctor on Thursday and will ask him if prescription reader glasses can correct for astigmatism so I can see the Ipad. I am grateful that the surgery went well and I can see distance. I don’t mind readers if I can find a solution for seeing my Ipad and very fine print. It seems like the standard lens would given me the results I have without the expense.

13. ari on January 31st, 2013 1:56 pm

yes- sounds like you got very little “bang for the buck”, and that your crystalens is acting like a regular lens. thats the risk with this lens- the near vision benefit can be very modest at times.

14. Janet on February 13th, 2013 11:58 am

Feb.4 ,I had cataract removed and monofocal lens put in now I can not see to apply makeup how do I fix this and what kind of lens should I put in my right eye now. I need enough closeup vision to apply eye makeup.

15. ari on February 16th, 2013 9:33 pm

too late. you need to wear reading glasses when you do anything close up, whether its reading or makeup. no big deal.

16. Trish on February 17th, 2013 1:53 am

Hi
    I am 66, diabetic (dx 8mos ago) now in control with oral meds—but have retinopathy & DME (being treated with lucentis and lasars since Nov./12) and glaucoma treated with Azopt gtts (Pr.17 bilaterally from 20) also have bilat. cataracrs. Present Rx is -4.50 and -4.75 ( which is 3 yrs old and not adequate right now). I realize that multifocal lenses are out of the question but I wonder if anyone could suggest an appropriate adjustment to monocular lenses which would allow me to read, do computer work , paint (art) and still be able to see license plates and road signs well. I have been near sighted since high school but able to read well without glasses until a few days after I was Dx’d and 2 days after I was started on statins and other meds. Vision is now improving with treatments Also would like to know at what point in the rest of my treatment is it okay to do the cataracts ( I am on the waiting list for sometime in the fall)>

17. Wendy on February 24th, 2013 9:22 am

I am 45 and have a cogenital hearing impairment (severe). Have worn hearing aids all my life–I lip read extensively at all distances. I do lots of computer work, reading, photography and play tennis.
    Have had glasses or contacts since high school; now wearing progressives (OD -2.25, -.5 Cyl, Axis 10; OS -2.75, -1.25 cyl, Axis 10 + ADD 2.0 in Axis) which give best vision of 20/30 OD and 20/25 OS. Last July, posterior subcapsular cataracts OU were diagnosed in both eyes and right eye (dominant) is worse. Have consulted 3 doctors in the DC area — am being a nervous nellie as I really need clear vision to lipread at various distances. Have slight astigmatism in both eyes.
    Surgery for right eye is scheduled for Mar 27th — and Crystalens was selected and I’ll need to sign a consent for LeSx Femtosecond for astigmatic reduction surgery at the same time.
    I have been reading this blog and others and having second throughts about Cyrstalens — as I age my hearing impairment will worsen and my eyes are most precious. I don’t mind wearing reading glasses. What would be best for someone in my situation? Monofocal, or some other multifocal lens? Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

18. Lt Col G R Rajendren (Ret), Indian Army on February 27th, 2013 2:00 pm

I had been wearing glasses since 16 for mild Myopia in both the eyes (- 1.5 ) – needing correction for distant vision. Did not feel uncomfortable in the active 30 odd years in the army.

I am 68 now and need cataract surgery in the dominant left eye. I searched for the best option hi and low and wide, researched the web. I find that for people like me, the best option is the “Standard” lens. It is simple,time tested, and highly accommodating with little side effects and of course – free of cost if you are insured.

This conclusion is also supported by our family doctor Dr M.S. Srinivasan who is one of the highly experienced Cornea Surgeons anywhere ( from Aravind Eye Care System, Madurai, South India (they do maximum number of eye surgeries in the world).

I always wanted to have vision without glasses but after this research, I am ready to compromise with Standard lens. I want to tell everyone this – I had done lot of adventurous activities in the army – including Riding, Skiing, Sky Diving etc with glasses and it is okay – no discomfort at all. I respect the opinions and choices of all of you but consider the simple thing first.

I am going is for surgery next week. Will share my experience in this Forum later.

19. ari on February 27th, 2013 4:57 pm

again- crystalens, unlike restor, has no side effects, so why not try it. it may give you decent computer vision. for sure, taking care of the astigmatism is a good idea and will give you better vision.

20. Cindi on March 22nd, 2013 11:53 pm

I’ve had repeated bouts of posterior and intermediate uveitis. I was alerted to the first one almost three years ago by the epiretinal membrane that formed over the center of my visual field. They treated me early and I didn’t lose any vision, I stayed 20/15 in both eyes. I had PVD’s in both eyes with a huge amount of stringy debris. Repeated flares clouded my vitreous. The ERM got worse and began to distort my fovea. I had a vitrectomy and membrane peel on the right eye last summer. I read the 20/20 line the next day, but a few months later the post-surgical cataract began to develop. My myopia has gotten much worse. I wear multifocal RGP contract lenses, which deliver very good vision. My doctors are all opposed to putting a multifocal IOL into my vitrectomized eye. My question is – Why can’t I have a monofocal IOL for distance and wear a RGP multifocal contact lens for close and intermediate vision? I’ve been told that doesn’t work, but I can’t understand why not. My distance would be corrected. I’d be using the multifocal contact in place of reading glasses. Why not?

21. A.Nassar on April 4th, 2013 12:31 pm

I am a 58 years old nearsighted person with -9 for the right eye and -8 for the left one. A cataract have been developing in my right eye since more than one and half year and now started to interferes with my daily life activities specially night driving. Today I visited my eye Dr. Specialist who suggested to have the cataract surgery and to implant a mono-focal IOL for both eyes and he mentioned that a multi-focal lens is not suitable for me and he mentioned that I have to have an eye glasses for readings but he mentioned that even with the eye glasses I have to expect a difficulty in reading and see things clearly in short distance. Can any one of the forum participants comment and suggest better alternatives.

22. ari on April 4th, 2013 9:41 pm

if you are not a good candidate for multifocal, you should thank him for being so honest.
    either get corrected for distance, for reading, or do monovision- 1 eye for each. if your eyes are otherwise healthy, you shoud see very well either with or without glasses, depending on what prescription you choose.

23. Ling on April 10th, 2013 6:03 am

My story is different from any one of above. I am 62 years old. I had retinal detachment surgery for my left eye in Jan. 2012. I am nearsighted and both eyes used to be around -5.0. After the surgery, however, the left eye’s vision became -9.0. My optometrist couldn’t correct it to 20/20 which is what I could see before the surgery. I visited the retinal surgeon two months later and he told me the left eye got cataract caused by the retinal surgery and he suggested me to see a specialist for the cataract. In May 2012, I got cataract surgery and a mono focal IOL was implanted in my left eye. The doctor didn’t want to give me multi focal lens because I have retinal detachment history. My left eye was corrected to -2.0, he said that will help me for reading purpose. He gave me soft contacts to try for my right eye. In August 2012, he did YAG on my left eye to eliminate star bursts. That worked pretty well, the eye can immediately see much clearer and star bursts are totally gone. He told me to get new prescription from my optometrist. He asked me to see him in 6 months if in case my both eyes cannot get balanced with new prescription. Both my optometrist and I found it is very difficult to make my eyes work together, since each eye has different vision (-2.0 vs. -5.25), both eyes have astigmatism(not significant), byopia and prism. After trying all options and combinations, finally I use a hybrid contact lens for my right eye alone, that is something like monovision people talked about in here, however, I never feel comfortable with it because there is always some blurriness whether looking near or far.
    In Feb. 2013, I visited the doctor who did cataract surgery for me last year, he recommended to have cataract surgery on my right eye even thou the cataract in right eye is very little but he said because both eyes cannot work together and get balanced, I’m eligible for the surgery and the insurance will cover it. At this time he still doesn’t want to give me multifocal lens. He said multifocal lens for one eye may even cause more problems.
    I then went to another doctor for second opinion. My both eyes were dilated in that doctor’s office. In the evening of that day, I felt severe pain around my left eye and gradually the left eye lost vision. I called the doctor and he wanted to see him immediately. We met in his office and he found that the IOL in the left eye shifted forward to in the front of the eye, the lens blocked the way the eye fluid goes, that caused very high eye pressure (60, the normal is 8-16), it’s just like glaucoma, and he said if it is not fixed immediately the entire vision of the left eye could be permanently lost next day. So he used laser to punch 4 holes in my eye to reduce the pressure. In about 30 minutes, the pressure was down to 40, the pain was reduced and the vision came back. He told me that because my capsule was broken, it cannot hold the IOL properly, when the eye is dilated, it gives the lens a chance to move forward. That was Friday night, so he told me to see him Monday morning, he would try to make the lens go back to right position. What he did in Monday morning is to let me lie down and dilate the left eye trying to let lens go back, it never worked, even worse, the lens flipped upside down. It seems surgery will be the only choice to fix the problem. He referred me to a retinal surgeon for the surgery. The surgery is scheduled to be done on 4/12/2013. The surgeon said the first option is to flip the lens and put it back to posterior chamber where the IOL used to be. If it’s not successful, the second choice is to replace the lens, but the new lens will be put in anterior chamber (the new lens is specially designed for this purpose).
    After the horrible experience above, I’m so worried about the outcome of the coming surgery. I’m very angry for the surgeon who did cataract surgery on my left eye, though non of the doctors wanted to tell me the truth why or who broke my left eye capsule, I’m sure he did.
    Mr. Ari, have you ever heard anything like this? If the outcome is good for the left eye surgery this time, what type of IOL you will suggest for my right eye in future? I appreciate your opinion.

24. ari on April 10th, 2013 8:24 pm

every surgeon can break a capsule. every one. even me. it happens even to the best of surgeons sometimes. luckily its not common at all, especially for experienced surgeons. compromised eyes- like retinal detachment- are more prone to this complication. but if handled well, it often leads to no problems for the patient. breaking capsule is NOT malpractice.

if the implant dislocated and caused an acute glaucoma, that is suspicious for an implant that was not implanted correctly. that never happens if the implant is in the correct position. so i suspect that the surgeon broke the capsule and the implant was not implanted correctly, or somehow the implant dislocated right after the surgery was over. of course, its hard for me to know for sure w/o examining you, but that is my suspicion.

the possibility of this happening to the other eye is almost zero. this is an extraordinarily rare complication. so i would proceed with a regular implant in the right eye and go for like a -2.00 or -3.

25. Colleen on July 12th, 2013 5:02 pm

I am more confused than before now. I am 46 and am a RN that works midnights at this time. I was dx with having cataracts due to steroids I was taking for PCOS. My Dr. is recommending crystalens implants for me but, I am worried about what my vision will be after. I am having the left eye done first because the cataract and vision are much worse than the right. I also have astigmatism in the right eye so am worried that the crystalens wont be right for the right eye. Please help any advice would be greatly appreciated.

26. Dr. Ari Weitzner on July 14th, 2013 12:41 am

crystalens wont work well with astigmatism, unless you are getting the new toric crystalens, or the surgeon is doing lri’s for the astigmatism.

27. Karen on November 19th, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi. I was just diagnosed with posterior capsule cataracts (although have never taken steroids or have eye trauma Hx) and am 39 years old. I have poor distance vision (approx -2.75 to -3.0). Left eye has small astigmatism right eye has no – slight astigmatism. There is a trace of PSC in the left eye and a level 2 in the right eye. Right eye corrected vision cannot get better than 20/30 currently. Reading vision is/was perfect (right is becoming degraded due to cataract). My career requires lots of screen time and some reading. Dr. has recommended crystalens, but we are monitoring it over the next 6 months to see if it worsens.

I am wondering if this is a bad recommendation given the report that crystalens cannot correct astigmatism. Should I wait as long as I can to have lens replacement given my age? Any thoughts on possible/best course of action would be appreciated! Thank you.

28. Sandy on December 3rd, 2013 12:36 am

Hi Dr. Weitzner!

I am 53 years old and just had cataract surgery on my left eye two weeks ago. The cataract had become severe. I have a cataract in my right eye and have been given a -2.25 disposable contact to wear in it until my surgery.

Before I went in to have my left eye corrected, I explained to my doctor that I have been near-sighted my entire life. I work with animals and I am an artist. In my free time I love to read, cook and work on the computer. In short, everything I love and indeed my very livelihood require excellent vision up close. I do not mind wearing glasses for far, but I do not want to spend all day wearing them. I have no interest in multifocal lenses as I was happy with my vision before the cataracts. After I explained this to my doctor during the consultation, I asked if I could bring in my glasses from about 13 years ago and have my eyes adjusted to wear that same prescription and she said I could.

During the pre op visit. I brought the glasses. Her tech took them and made note of the prescription. A little later my surgeon entered the room and said, “We’re going to adjust your vision for far…” Before she could finish I said, “But doctor, I need to be nearsighted.” She looked surprised and said, “Oh, so you want your vision to be here?” And she motioned with her hand stretched out in front of her. I repeated that I wanted to be able to wear my old prescription so that I could work well up close and just use the glasses for driving and going to movies. She made a note and told the tech to adjust me for…And I could not hear the rest. I had the feeling that she did not remember our conversation about how important near vision is to me.

I want to say that this is a surgeon who is very experienced and has been @ the same hospital since 1980. I respect her. And I am so grateful that when the bandages came off I could see. During my post op visit, I could read the 20/20 line on the chart. Her tech told me that the doctor had adjusted me to 20/30 because I wanted to be able to see close up…but here’s the thing…I can’t.

When I put my old glasses on I can see far off just like I did before. Without my glasses I can work @ the computer and cook, but when I am @ my job working w/ animals, when I have to pull one up close, it is out of focus. When I read I have to hold my book @ arm’s length and in the grocery store I have to hold everything far away from my face to focus on it with the left eye. The hardest thing is when I sit @ my desk to draw or paint. I am not able to do detail work with any precision. I close the right eye (the one that still has a cataract) and try to focus @ arm’s length. Then I close my left eye and move in very close w/ the right eye which has a contact on it. I am able to compensate this way. However, I need a solution that is better than this. I plan on creating art for the rest of my life and I can not afford (nor would I ever want to) injure an animal.

So here’s my question: What type of adjustment should be made on the right eye to get me where I need to be and how do I communicate that to the surgeon?

I look forward to your response. Thank you!

My next appointment with my doctor is in two days. What do you suggest that I

29. Sandy on December 4th, 2013 8:24 pm

Update:

Yesterday, I sat down in my studio and found that detail work was much easier than last week.

Today I went in for my 2 week exam and when I looked @ the eye chart found that my vision has changed substantially. My doctor says that my left eye is @ -2.00. Is that 20/40 vision?

I am happy that I can see to do detail work close up and @ arm’s length, but am wondering if my vision will keep changing? My original prescription glasses that I brought to my pre op visit back on October 28th are -1.50 in the left and -1.25 in the right. Should I get a second opinion before going forward w/ cataract surgery in my right eye or are these kinds of experiences normal? I was happy several years ago with -1.50 in the left and -1.25 in the right.

30. ari on December 8th, 2013 7:35 pm

karen- the crystalens now corrects astigmatism. remember that crystalens is best for intermediate vision, not closer reading vision.
    the timng is based purely on your desire to fix the vision. you dont have to wait

31. ari on December 8th, 2013 7:38 pm

if you were happy with -1.25 before the cataract, then i would simply aim for that, but that prescription is better for arms length vision. not closer vision. there is no need for a second opinion- small changes in the prescription can occur as the lens settles in.

32. norma mclaughlin on January 13th, 2014 8:24 pm

I had a Restor lens explanted, and it was discovered in the explanting of this lens, that the Restor was not properly anchored in my eye. There were missing zonule fibres. Whether they were already missing or went missing during the surgery, I have not idea, but the doctor never put a tension ring in to secure the Restor lens. Is this something the surgeon may not have seen? I could not see properly with this lens and perhaps it was because it was loose in my eye. Please may I see a response.

33. Karen on January 26th, 2014 5:54 pm

Thank you for the reply Dr. Weitzner.

Do you agree with the opinion that crystalens must be implanted in both eyes (within 2 weeks) due to visual imbalance that can result with one natural uncorrected eye and one artificial lens?

34. ari on January 26th, 2014 9:16 pm

implanting both eyes is more critical with restor lens, as there is a brain adaption issue. there is no grain adaption with crystalens, so implant the other eye as early or late as you like.

35. Sandy on February 11th, 2014 11:32 pm

One last question. I am scheduled to have surgery on my right eye in March. My left eye is still sometimes blurry. (I had surgery on it back in November). How long does it generally take for the eye to see clearly? I have heard that it can take 6 – 12 weeks. Can it take longer? Thank you, Dr. Weitzner.

36. ari on February 13th, 2014 1:02 pm

in routine surgery, vision should be clear in days. if surgery is long and difficult, it may take weeks. if you are still blurred, you need to have it checked out and get an explanation

37. Nelson on March 5th, 2014 10:33 pm

Low, Moderate, High Astigmatism. What are the guidelines? Glare and Starbursts are becoming more noticeable because of my cataracts. 74 y/o male.
    I’m thinking that the Crystalens and the toric version, Trulign, would give me the kind of vision I want.
    My last exam, and pretty much all my eye prescriptions for the last 10 years or so, show me farsighted +2.50 and +2.75 Spherical Diopters and -1.25 and -1.00 Cylinder for astigmatism.
    Would Toric Lenses be preferred? Should I be looking at mini-mono/blended vision?

38. ari on March 6th, 2014 10:31 am

always always always get the implant that corrects astigmatism. why put in an implant, then wear the astigmatism on your nose, when you could’ve corrected it in the implant in your eye? its a no-brainer.
    the only question is whether to get the crystalens (trulign) or regular implant for astigmatism. the trulign’s ability to give you reading vision is not great. its best for intermediate vision, and even then it can be somewhat unreliable. monovision is not a bad idea, and most like it, but some patients hate it. but its cheaper than trulign.